Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Herb Garden
Hi Everyone!
I thought some of you might enjoy seeing my very simple no-weed herb garden. Alright, it is ALMOST a no-weed garden--I do admit to finding one weed in it this Spring, but it was easily pulled out. :) Basically, the secret is to plant your garden in a container. I found this nice big wash tub type container at our Tractor Supply store last summer. A few moments with hubby and his drill, and it had several nice drain holes in the bottom of it.
Last summer I planted (clockwise from back to front) Rosemary, Chives, Parsley, and Thyme (we ALL need more thyme in our day, right?). In the very center I had a nice large Basil plant. Except for the Basil, everything else wintered over just fine. This spring, all I had to do was pull out that one stray weed that had found it's way into my garden, and replace a new Basil plant in the center. This garden is kept just a few steps away from my kitchen doorway, and I love being able to step out and cut something to use in my cooking. I also have a separate container that holds my Oregano. I USED to have the Oregano in my regular garden bed--in the ground--and it was happy. So happy, in fact, that it took over half the garden bed! So I pared it down to enough for my one container, where it now lives as an "only child!"
I have really enjoyed watching the Chives bloom the last several weeks. They were blooming at a time that not much else was.
I think that is why this visitor found them so attractive. When I stepped out with my camera, he flew away immediately. But then he circled back around me very close and landed again. I had trouble with getting my camera to focus, and he was VERY aware of my presence--he kept leaving every time I got close. But he also kept coming back, almost immediately, fluttering right next to me. I felt just like when you are in one of those Butterfly Farms, where the butterflies are fluttering all close to you. I suspect he was pretty hungry and that is most likely why even though scared, he kept coming back.
He even stayed around long enough for the little one to come inspect him. Home school science lessons at their very best!
Hope this gives you some ideas of how easy an herb garden can be, and that you are enjoying one soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!
2 comments:
What a great herb garden! And I love the close up shot of the butterfly! That was cool that he let your daughter get that close to him!
Lisa :O)
Your herb garden looks great! I have mine in similar planters. They are so much easier to take care of this way! My spring isn't as advanced as yours, but the parsley, mint, and rosemary wintered over very well. I do have some weeds and will be tending to them soon. Don't you just love fresh herbs?
Post a Comment