Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Healthy Eating--Calorie Density
Good Morning Everyone!
Sorry I have been missing for a few weeks here--life is always super busy around here, and of course taking care of my families needs is my number one priority. But I love to pop in here and share things that have been helpful to me whenever I can. I have been blessed by what others have shared on their blogs, and I do hope that my little blog is helpful as well.
Today, I wanted to share with you a little video that explains a health concept VERY well. This is the concept of calorie density. Now I will say right here that I am not a medically trained person--so I cannot give you medical advice. I am simply sharing information that I have personally found helpful. Whatever you may choose to do with this information is between you and your own personal doctor.
I have been a vegeterian since I was a teenager, and then went vegan later when I was married and discovered I had incredibly high cholesterol in my twenties (cheese will do that to you, and cheese was my "meat"). Going vegan definately helped my cholesterol go down some, but in spite of my healthy eating I still struggled with maintaining a healthy weight. I was never in the medically obese catagory, but definitely in the overweight category. And for me, the goal is not to have some "perfect" number on a chart, but rather I want to be in good health and be able to be active so I can be a good mom to our daughter. At age 39, I was already an older mom when she was born. Add to that the fact that she is naturally a very active, high energy child, and I REALLY need to be in good health so I can keep up with her!
Anyway, so now you know some of my background story. The health concept that I learned about several years ago, which has REALLY helped me lose my excess weight is the concept of calorie density. Being aware of calorie density has helped me make healthier food choices, and yes--along the way I have lost my excess weight. This is NOT a quick fix--it is not a magic pill that you can swallow and wake up slim and trim. It IS, however, knowledge that if put into practice can change unhealthy eating habits and help a person become the healthy size that their body frame was designed to carry.
So what exactly IS calorie density? I am glad you asked! 😉 Today in my email box I found a short video by Chef AJ which explains calorie density beautifully, so I thought I would share it with you here:
Calorie Density
Being aware of calorie density isn't going to change your weight overnight. I have been making better food choices for the past two or three years. Last calendar year, I only lost two pounds a month--no one is going to stop you at the grocery store and ask you what you did when you have lost two pounds that month! But a steady two pounds a month does mean that at the end of 2017 I weighed 24 pounds less than I had at the start of 2017. And doing this for several years now means that for me, I am finally right in the middle of a healthy weight range for my body frame. My doctor is happy--and I am happy. But most of all, I now have more energy for keeping up with my precious daughter!
Hope the video is a help to you!
"Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well." 3 John 1:2 NIV
~Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment