Friday, October 19, 2018

Frugal Friday! Week of October 14-20, 2018



Happy Friday Everyone!

How has your week been? Last weekend my hubby had a long weekend as it was Fall Break at the college that he works at. So we planned a short little vacation, up to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park—“my” park! I love going there, even though our family is not exactly hard core hikers or anything—well, our daughter would happily be a hard core hiker, but her parents are more the easy hike kind of people! 😉 Anyway, so last week I spent a lot of time prepping food to take with us. When we go, we like to “camp” in a tiny tiny cabin that is owned by a very sweet couple. Their place is more a small RV camping place, but they have just three tiny cabins, which works perfectly for us. The cabins have a small kitchen area, which works for both saving money on eating out, AND it helps me stay out of the ER as I have to be very careful of what I eat, having an intolerance to oils and fats that are added into so many foods these days!

ANYWAY, so we had a little budget vacation, and it was wonderful! Things that we did to save money included:

*Being repeat customers at our rental cabin, the owners give us a small discount. This saved us $25!

*Brought all our own food from home. I had prepped most of it ahead of time, so while at the cabin I really felt like I also had a break from regular duties.

*Came home from camping trip with leftover spaghetti. Added broccoli and leftover sauce, and it was enough for one more meal, which was both economical as well as helpful since I didn’t have any meals prepared and waiting at home!

*Brought leftover bananas home from trip, and put in freezer for smoothies since they were getting a bit on the spotted side of things.

*Made home made baked French fries one day for our lunch.  Yup--that is all we ate for the entire meal.  A huge plate of hot and crunchy, yummy French fries!  Since they are baked, I do not feel guilty at all when we do this!  Let me know if any of you are interested in how I make these, and I can share more on them another time if there is interest.



*Found a book at a Free Little Library that will be perfect for a family member. Tucked it away to add to other Christmas presents.

*Returned to our closest thrift store, to look once again for more winter clothes for our daughter. This was the same store where we found the hand made wool skirt last week. I could not believe my eyes when I found on the rack a second hand made, wool skirt, made from the same pattern as the skirt we bought last week! Obviously the same person made both skirts, but this second skirt was not out on the rack last week when we bought the first one! My daughter and I were both thrilled! I wish I could let the person who made and later donated these skirts know how much we appreciate them, and that their hard work in making them is very much being appreciated and is a blessing to our family! I have used up my gift certificates that my daughter and I both received for our birthdays since we volunteer there, but I didn’t complain at all that the skirt cost me $3.25. I cannot purchase the fabric for that price, let alone the pattern, thread, zipper, etc.!

Here is one happy teen daughter, modeling her "new" skirt that fits her PERFECTLY.

Here is a close up of the skirt, where you can see the very neatly done pleats on the side.  One thing we joke about is my daughter tells me that when she grows up, she wants to "be a size."  This is because she can sometimes fit in the largest children's sizes, and sometimes fit into the smallest women's sizes, but other times we cannot find ANYTHING in the stores at all to fit her!  So there is no blanket "size" that we can go to the store and pick and know that it will fit her.  So here comes along these two hand made skirts, that fit her perfectly--but of course, with them being hand made there is no size tag in the skirts at all.  So my daughter says she is STILL "not a size!" Perhaps not, but at least she now is blessed with two beautiful skirts to wear this fall and winter!

Well that was our Week! How has your week been, and what did you find to save this week?

4 comments:

Ava said...

I'd be very interested in your recipe for the baked "fries" - sounds delicious.

I know what you mean about wishing you could let the person who made/donated those skirts what a blessing they are to you and your daughter. Every once in a while, something I purchased at a garage sale or a thrift shop becomes such a treasure, I just want to thank someone. Years ago, I bought a set of Christmas stocking hangers for the mantel, at a moving sale. They were cast iron, in very basic shapes (star, tree, moose, teddy bear, heart), solid and heavy. The woman said, "Oh, my dad made those for the kids one year, but we've outgrown them." ?!? I use them every year and absolutely love them - they are beautiful pieces of rustic Americana. I often wish I could let her dad know that his work continues to be loved and appreciated.

Jeannie said...

I love your daughter's skirt and she wears it well. Tell her to be encouraged because she is not "a size". Those of us who have "lots of sizes" can't wear plaids because they make us look larger. She looks great.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Beckyathome said...

I love the skirt! I'm sure the person who made it would be delighted to know she is wearing it.

Eating French fries for a meal sounds so good--but not on my menu right now. We are eating lots of salads and fewer potatoes right now, as my husband is on a weight-loss journey. (As of last week, he is down 45 pounds from last May). We still eat a few potatoes, though, but they could not be the entire meal right now.

It sounds like you got a great get-away trip. I love camping and being outdoors. There's just nothing like it to me.

mcc-ny said...

mcc-ny

My first time commenting on your blog. I found you on Brandy's (TPH) blog.

The skirt looks lovely. What a great deal.

My husband and I love going to parks and hiking on our vacations. We have not been to Smokey Mountains yet, heard it's beautiful.

I would like to have your baked french fried recipe, I am trying to stay away from oils and fats too.

Have a great week.

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors