How was your week? We were a little extra busy, as my daughter participated in a special music festival, so we were running around a little extra beyond our normal crazy! I am so thankful for all the kind, good hearted teachers that put on an activity for our young people like this, however, and am extra thankful that it was opened up not only for the area schools but also for any homeschoolers that wanted to join in the learning and fun!
What did you do to help bless your family and save money? My list this week is a bit shorter than usual, since I was concentrating on the music festival and not on writing things down--in addition to just not being home! But I did manage to record a few things:
* I solved a wardrobe crisis my daughter was having by ordering her some new sweaters from the JCPenney's TALL catalog. Evidently, my daughter grew literally overnight. I mean, one day her sweaters all fit her, but this past week they didn't! As in, there were tears as she was trying to find clothes to wear one morning, because while her sweaters all fit going across, every single one was too short on her (they really were--she showed me!), and it doesn't help that she plays the violin so truly does need something to wear that will remain somewhat modest when she raises her arms to play. She IS still shorter than I am, so I had been HOPING that she wouldn't need to start purchasing speciality sizes for a while yet--but it is not to be. I broke down and ordered her four sweaters, which we are still waiting on to arrive. But the good news is at least they were all on sale, for $10.00 each. And she truly does need them, as our weather here is cold and is getting colder. At least these SHOULD be long enough on her for a good long time, and she should be able to literally wear them out, instead of the sweaters shrinking, since we are starting with extra long sweaters. We'll see how it goes, anyway!
*The same day that we had the "nothing to wear" crisis, we went to our local thrift shop, hoping against hope to find SOMETHING that would be long enough for her to wear--and not too wide across for her slender form. I was delighted to find a pretty green sweater that looked long enough! And it has ribbing that brings the sweater in, not out, so it works well for her slender frame. The sweater even had the new price tags still on it, and she wore it this week to the music festival that she participated in. I was thankful she had it, and we were able to purchase it using her gift certificate.
*The same day my daughter found a plaid skirt she really liked, also at the thrift shop and it too still had the new price tag attached. It was several sizes too big for her, but she loved it, so we used the gift certificate and bought the skirt. I have taken it in the waist to make it fit already, and I think it will work out for her. It does have a lower hem in the back which I am not thrilled about--it just looks a bit odd to me, so I think I am going to work a little on changing that. But at least she can wear it the way it is for now, and as I have time I can change the back hem.
*I continued to try and use up food in my freezer. This week I made a lentil soup, which used up some veggie broth that has been hanging out in the freezer for too long, as well as half a package of corn kernels. The soup was yummy, and I got a tiny bit more freezer room--yea me!
*Later in the week, when my daughter had her music festival, I used up some old hamburger buns from the freezer to make our lunches for the festival. Food was being provided, but both my daughter and I have to be careful about what we eat and I was guessing that whatever was served would probably not work for us. Turns out I was correct, so I was super glad that we had brought our own from home. We live close, but there was not enough time in the busy schedule for us to drive home for lunch. So it was nice that we had it with us so could just eat there.
Well, that was my week! What was your week like? I would love to hear!
~Susan

No comments:
Post a Comment