Saturday, February 15, 2020

Frugal Friday! Week of February 9-15, 2020!

Hi Everyone!

How was your week?  In my neck of the woods, we had rain, rain, and rain!  And after that, we had some more rain!  I was afraid we would need to build a boat!






*I did a hot food bath hydrotherapy treatment on our daughter.  She started feeling just the tinest bit of a sore throat, and had a musical performance with the local community orchestra this week, so I wanted to head this cold off at the pass, so to speak, and not give it a chance to get ahold of her strongly.  She is already very good about eating healthy and avoiding sugar, and trying to get good sleep, so this time I pulled out the "big guns" and decided it was time for some hydrotherapy.
Now, I am NOT a medically trained person, so please do not take this as medical advice.  But from what I have read, hydrotherapy treatments can really help your body fight off colds and flu, by helping your white blood cells work better.  We do NOT do this instead of going to the doctor!  We always use our wonderful doctor, any time that we think there is something she can help us with.  But the common cold, sadly, there is nothing our sweet doctor can do!  So a hydrotherapy treatment in this case can't hurt.  What you cannot see in this picture is the tub of hot water that my daughter has her feet in, and the cloth on her head is a cold cloth.  If you are interested in hydrotherapy treatments, please do your own research and make sure that you are preforming the treatments correctly, as doing them incorrectly can actually leave your patient chilled and worse off.




After her treatment, my daughter was put to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes, with wool socks on her feet.  She was wrapped up better than this for those first 30 minutes, but after that time she was allowed to get up if she wanted to.  I was hoping she would rest longer, just to give her body more rest to fight off the cold germs, and I carried our kitten over to her on the couch.  To my surprise, this kitten that NEVER settles down and stays anywhere, actually settled down and took a nap on her!  Which made my daughter not want to disturb him, therefore she rested longer than the minimum time.  Yay for help from the kitten!  He will probably send me a bill in the mail for his services! ;)

I figure helping to head off a cold before it takes strong hold to definitely be a frugal activity!  Helps avoid future doctor visits due to complications, avoids the need for over the counter cold medications, Kleenex, etc.!


*My hubby and I attended a free Valentine's Day concert, put on by our local community Symphony Orchestra!   The music was SO beautiful, and the price of free could not be beat!
In addition to the beautiful music, my very favorite violist was a part of the orchestra!  Yes!  The very same daughter who earlier in the week was coming down with a cold!  Yay for hydrotherapy!

I thought she looked just lovely in her long black dress that I bought around a year ago at a thrift shop for .75 cents!  At that time, she was not playing with an orchestra--but I knew that if she continued in her musical pursuits she soon would be, so figured it would be helpful for her to have something in "concert black" in her closet! It was a blessing from God that I found it!

Also at the concert, a local bakery was giving away free desserts, coffee, hot chocolate, etc.  I have rather severe food sensitivities, so for ME it was more frugal to avoid eating these things and therefore also avoid a trip to the ER, but I thought it was a very nice thing to do!



I do not, however, have any allergies to flowers, so my daughter and I happily accepted the long stem red rose that was also being gifted to each lady who attended! :)


I had to trim shorter the VERY long stems, so they did not tip over my small vase, but our two roses are now gracing my desk where they make me happy and our kitten has not discovered them--yet!

*I figured our own taxes, and got them filed already.  I am relieved to have this job done for another year.  We will use the small amount we receive back towards music lessons for our daughter.

*I made all our meals at home, and baked home made bread.  I do this all the time, so do not often mention it, but it is a way that we save so I probably should list it every now and then!

That's all that I can think of or that I wrote down for this past week--so your turn next!  What did you do to save money, stretch finances, and bless your family this past week?  Please do share--I learn so much from others!

Have a wonderful next week!

~Susan

6 comments:

Paris and Pueblo said...

There is just something about a beautiful red rose that can make the heart sing!

Good that you helped your daughter get fit as as fiddle... She looked lovely in her dress - very elegant. The concert sounds wonderful as well - love live music and it looks like they put on a nice event.

Mary

Beckyathome said...

It looks like you had a great week. I'm glad your daughter isn't sick! We had a good week at our house, too. I guess it was birthday week, with 3 birthdays during the past week! I'm glad everyone is properly celebrated and we can have a little break until the next round.

I've kept my nephew for the past 3 nights, but he went home this morning, and so I have spent today catching up on laundry and lots of other things that got left undone while he was here.

I have no idea why my computer won't let me comment on almost everyone else's blog, but it will on yours! I'm delighted:)

Diwakar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

Thank you for the idea of doing the hydrotherapy as needed. I'm going to look this up and prep ahead so we can use this too. I am always looking for simple and natural ways to help with little health stuff so I will definitely try this. We had a quiet week but did make some small progress towards our financial goals so I'll call it a success :)
*Found out we could buy the big bag of bunny shredded bedding in the back of the farm store with the feed products which is only 1/4th of the cost of buying the same thing in the front part of the store. I was grateful for the cashier pointing this out!
*Continued my quest of purchasing as few trashbags as possible by using another pet food bag this week.
*Got a load of books through the new inter-library loan program at our tiny local library. I got books on homemaking, organizing, hospitality, gluten-free cooking, building and growing in greenhouses, and finances. I feel like I have found a whole new way of doing research :)
*Came in a bit under budget in groceries last week and got a notification from the auto insurance that it has been lowered a few more dollars this month.
*More on my blog! https://www.cozyhomemaking.com/frugal-fun-homemaking-for-february-9-15-2020/

Robert said...

I too suffer from food allergies but I always accept and then bag it to bring home to family members who do not suffer always have one or two baggies in my handbag for this very reason.

Jeannie said...

Being proactive in fighting your daughter's cold was wise and probably cured her. We have purchased a nebulizer that has been on the "want to buy list" for years. Watching the news reports on the coronavirus caused us to make the investment. It has been great - why didn't we do this before? We are using colloidal silver and essential oils in the machine. My son has a horrible cold and breathing the moisture has kept his head clear. He seems to be catching something every time he goes to work.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors