Monday, April 19, 2021

Frugal Friday! Week of April 11-17, 2021



Hello Frugal Friends!

How was your week? I hope you are experiencing some of the same lovely Spring weather that I am getting in my neck of the woods!

My week was a great week!  I am just enjoying being outside as much as possible, and I am super busy which gives one a reason to get up in the morning!  Always good to feel needed! On the frugal front, I know I did more than this, but these are the few things that I actually jotted down: 

*I bought eight bags of mulch for our garden pathways on sale at Lowe’s. These are normally $4.00 per bag, but the sale price was for $2.00 per bag instead. I usually redo the garden pathways every couple of years.  First I lay down new cardboard, then I spread the old mulch on top and finally top with some new mulch. Eventually the weeds will find their way through, but this at least slows them down. . . 




*I put cardboard down in one of my flower beds, and covered that with mulch I had purchased last summer but never used. The cardboard was free from the grocery store, so no cost there. Having my garden beds mulched in this way will help keep weeds down, so less time needed to spend on weeding. It also will help conserve water, and will help my flowers grow stronger and be less likely to perish in our summer heat.

*My hubby and I were able to receive our second COVID vaccine. We both had very minimal reactions to the shot, other than the typical sore arm which we get from any shot. We are thankful to be on this side of it! 

*We read this week’s post on my daughter in law’s History blog. This week she wrote about the “why” of learning about History.  I thought she made some very, very good points! If you would enjoy reading her lovely blog, you can find this week’s post listed here:

A Few Thoughts on the Importance of Studying History





*We decided to just use what we could scrounge from what we already had, when we realized we needed to build two trellises to help contain two David Austin roses that I purchased on clearance two years before. The roses were “supposed” to be shrubs, but I have discovered they are shrubs OR short climbers. Well, I guess my roses have decided they are the “short climber” variety!  These roses are called “Tess of the d’urbervilles.”  They bloom absolutely huge, lovely deep red blossoms, around the size of an orange! My sweet hubby offered to build me something using some scraps that had been used previously for another project and then dismantled. He even painted them up with leftover white paint!  And the truth is, he rebuilt my trellis THREE TIMES, as the first two times they weren't quite the "right" size for the rose.  Now THAT is a very sweet man!  So one rose has it's trellis, and a second trellis is in the works for the second rose.  These roses are planted right at our garden entrance, and are quite thorny.  As they grew longer and longer and LONGER, I started calling them "Guardians of the Garden," as they were keeping all including US outside of the garden with their waving thorns!  Or rather, we were stepping over the small bunny wire fence in other places to enter! I cannot wait to see them bloom this year--they already have buds! When I bought them fall of 2019, they were on clearance for under $10, which is pretty rare to find a David Austin rose for that price!!! 





*I bought strawberries and asparagus on sale at my Aldi’s. When I brought them home, I placed them and my other produce in my Rubbermaid produce containers.  When I first saw these containers in the local Walmart, I doubted if they would REALLY work at extending the life of my produce.  So I bought one and did my own test. I was amazed that they really DID keep my produce lasting longer!  No, my produce is not going to last forever.  But they truly do extend by several days anyway, as compared to just having your produce sit in the package from the store on your fridge shelf. After I did my own test, I purchased several more containers in various shapes, comparing prices with Amazon and purchasing my containers from the lowest place source. I have been using these for several years now, and have zero complaints.  They are sturdy and hold up very well. 

*We shared a meal with my sister and her family at our house.  My nephew goes to college in the same town that we live.  His birthday is coming up, so my sister and her hubby drove up to celebrate with him. We shared a meal together, and each contributed a part of the meal. It was a nice little family get together. My nephew’s girlfriend and his sister were also able to join us. 



*We went for a hike!  One of my favorite things to do, in my favorite place (the woods!), with my favorite people! We have been enjoying identifying the new wildflowers that are out all over the woods now.




The top pink flower I am not sure of the variety, but the middle white one is a Mayapple and the bottom red one is a Fire Pink!  Does anyone know what the pink flower is?  I would love to learn! Hiking is a free and frugal activity, and requires almost nothing in the way of equipment. 

Well that was my week!  How was yours?  What did you do to save money or resources and bless yourself or your family? I would love to hear about it!


~Susan

1 comment:

savannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors