Good Morning Frugal Friends!
How was your week? I felt like I was trying to play "catch up" at home after being gone so much the previous two weeks. It is funny, that during the school year both my hubby and myself are always feeling like "We will get _______ done during the summer when we have more time." Then busy summer comes, and we say to ourselves "Once the school year starts and things settle down a bit we will get ______ done!" I guess overall this is a great problem to have, because it means we have a reason to get up in the morning!
But on to my week!
* I picked flowers from our garden.
*Picked another zucchini—this one hid and grew large!
*Read my daughter in law's History blog. This week she wrote a post about Freedom. It was excellent, I thought, and if anyone is interested in reading it for themselves you can find it here:
*Bought new sheets at Home Goods. We had some we loved, but sadly after many years the fabric has worn thin and a big hole has developed. it was finally time to replace them. My daughter found some she recommended--she has ALWAYS had an interest in space, and she loves the astronaut sheets--but these would not exactly match the bedspread on my bed so they had to stay in the store while I purchased boring white sheets instead!
*Read and returned a library book on Trauma. The book was called "The Body Keeps the Score." It was EXCELLENT, and I highly recommend if you have any interest in brain health, trauma, etc. Now that said, it is not an easy book to read in that it does share examples of abuse the people have gone through. Sad--just tragic! But I am thrilled to learn as much as I can about things that have been found to help traumatized people start to heal.
*I found red grapes at Aldi's for .49 cents a pound! Yes, you read that correctly! In my area, this is unheard of--in fact, there has been only one other time ever that I found grapes for this price, also at Aldi's. I think it was a general markdown as they had an overstock, it was not an item in the sale paper. I bought quite a few bags, but left some for others. We have been enjoying them this week and still have some in the fridge. I put most of them in my produce saver boxes, which I have found really DO help extend the life of produce, and in the meantime we ate first the grapes not in the produce boxes.

*My daughter played in a concert given by the East Tennessee Symphony Orchestra. This is a volunteer orchestra in our area. They have a very nice free concert at our town's Commons. It was the first concert they have been able to give since before COVID, and it was very VERY wonderful to see and hear people be able to get together again to make music together and use their talents to bless others!

One very sad thing happened--and please keep this in your prayers. The last ETSO rehearsal, the night before the concert, one of the two conductors for the orchestra experienced a heart attack there at the rehearsal. He was literally ten feet away from where I was sitting. Not being a medically trained person myself, there was almost nothing I could do to help him--though I WAS able to give information about the building and location of the building we were in to the gal who called 911. She didn't know the name of the college building we were meeting in, and at least I knew that information so was able to give that to be passed on to the 911 operator. Praise God, there was a doctor who was there playing in the orchestra, as well as several nurses and a music teacher who is a part time ambulance driver. They all started working on this gentleman immediately. They literally saved his life--it would have been too long by the time the paramedics were able to reach us. I am happy to be able to share that the gentleman was revived, and went on to the hospital where it was discovered he had a 100% blockage in a major artery to his heart. He had a stent put in, and they were going to be doing further testing to determine the extent of the damage done. I learned later that he is a retired band director from the area high school, so you can imagine he is a very well loved individual. While I did not know him personally since we homeschool our daughter and have not used the local public school, just listening to him during the different rehearsals it was obvious that he loved people and loved music. I am grateful his life was spared. It has made me really want to get trained in CPR, just on that odd chance that I may be somewhere in the future where someone needed help. If there was a doctor or nurse or other medical person around, great! But if there wasn't--if I was the only one--well, I would like to be able to help. Sadly, so far the prices I have found on CPR classes are out of my price range. If I was working and had income coming in and this was part of my job training, I could use my job salary to pay for the CPR course. But as a full time homemaker and homeschool mom, I have no other income coming in. If anyone knows of an affordable was to gain these skills please do share them with me.
The remaining conductor led the entire concert--instead of it being split as originally planned. We know for certain that Mr. D. would have wanted the concert to go on. He had been SO excited about live music again!
If you would like to hear a little of the concert, here is a clip I took of their last song. I was standing outside the building here, surrounded by others in my community and watching the fireworks that had started. It was lovely!
Here is another clip I took from earlier in the program, with a friend of ours doing a remarkable solo!
Well, that about sums up my week! How was YOUR week? What did you find to do to save money and bless your family or others? And please do keep Mr. D. in your prayers, and share with me if you are aware of an affordable way to learn CPR. It literally may save someone's life--I saw this happen before my eyes this week!
1 comment:
You might want to let the Red Cross or other organization offering the CPR training know that you need financial support to take the class. Many organizations have that available or let you do volunteer work at another session to pay for your course.
Post a Comment