Good Morning Frugal Friends!
I hope you are all doing well! We had a busy week—as usual! As I have said before, I am blessed to never EVER be bored!!!
So on with my frugal things!
*I accepted my daughter’s offer to start teaching me how to play the viola. She has already been teaching me violin—I started playing the violin when she gave me a beginning violin book as my Christmas present, completely unexpected (and unasked for, I might add!). I knew that Christmas when I opened up that book that it was not merely a gift of a music book—behind that book came the unspoken offer of my daughter to teach me how to play the violin. It was an invitation into her world. And so I could not resist accepting. I had never had anyone believe in me in this way before. And so at age 53, I started playing the violin, having exactly zero musical background upon which to build. I am having to learn EVERYTHING, and this “old dog” does not necessarily learn “new tricks” quickly. But it fills a hole in my heart that I didn’t even know was there.
Well, for some time my daughter has also been offering to teach me viola, as she plays and loves both instruments. I have felt like perhaps I should not confuse my poor old brain too much, and have continued to tell her “not yet.” I wanted to become more firm and knowledgeable on what I am already confused on before adding to the confusion! ;) Well, I am not yet firm, and certainly not very knowledgeable, but through some very sad circumstances, another viola has come to live in our house. You see, a precious, dear friend of ours passed away very unexpectedly. When my hubby was sharing his condolences with her husband, they were catching up on what each has been doing since we moved miles apart some years ago. My husband shared that he has taken up playing the viola as an adult, and our friend was very surprised, as his wife had done the very same thing. He immediately offered my husband his deceased wife’s viola, which was a blessing as my husband had literally been saving to be able to purchase himself a better quality instrument. And so that is the story of how there are now three violas currently “living” in our house. One belongs to my daughter, and two belong to my husband. And I have been invited to love on any of the instruments. And so it happened, that even though I am still only crawling my way through book 2 in violin, I have now added starting to crawl my way through learning viola at age 56. Surely this is all good for my brain, as I am definitely learning new things!
*I adapted a magazine holder that I already had, to hold the viola books that have been passed down to me. Our friend sent my husband his wife’s viola books, as well as the instrument. My husband looked through the stack of books, and gave me several that he was advanced beyond. And so my viola music library has begun, out of the kindness of a friend passing on what was no longer being used in his home. Every time I use these books, or play on the viola so sweetly passed on to my husband, I will remember the courage and tenacity of another woman who took up playing the viola at age 69.









No comments:
Post a Comment