Thursday, April 1, 2010

Happy (?) April Fool's Day!

Happy (?) April Fool's Day! When I woke up this morning and remembered what day it was, immediately to my mind came the memories of being in school and trying to play tricks on each other. From long term memories, the words "Happy April Fool's Day" almost bubbled out of my mouth as I greeted my family. Almost. I squished those words back inside, as I thought about fools, and what it really means to be a "fool".

Do you want to be a fool? I know I don't! The Bible has quite a lot to say about fools, so I thought today would be a very appropriate time to take a quick look in the concordance and see what I could find. There are MANY more references to a fool than I expected to find, but I did start to notice a repeating theme among several of the verses:

1)Where a fool puts their trust--

"The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God'...." Psalm 14:1
"The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice." Proverbs 12:15
"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe." Proverbs 28:26

2)How a fool uses their mouth--

"It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel." Proverbs 20:3
"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11
"The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin." Proverbs 10:8
"He who conceals his hatred has lying lips, and whoever spreads slander is a fool." Proverbs 10:18

3)How a fool acts--

"A wise man fears the Lord and shuns evil,but a fool is hotheaded and reckless." Proverbs 14:16
"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." Proverbs 26:11
"Of what use is money in the hand of a fool, since he has no desire to get wisdom?" Proverbs 17:16

Hummmmm.......sounds to me like there is nothing "Happy" about being a fool. May God grant me His wisdom, and then grant me the "stick-to-it-ness" to act and do and be all that HE wants me to be--which is certainally NOT a fool!

1 comment:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Susan~ What a great post. I am so glad that you started blogging. I know that I enjoy reading your post and have been blessed by them as well.
Lisa = )

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors