Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pasta with Garlicky Roasted Broccoli


I found this really great pasta recipe a couple days ago while brousing through a magazine. What really caught my eye was that the original recipe was calling for whole wheat pasta--not some substitute that "I" may come up with to make the dish healthier, but it was actually written that way! Anyway, so I thought I would try it, though I was pretty sure that not all of my family members would think it was wonderful. My husband for one is a person who prefers his veggies NOT mixed in with other food--I think he likes to eat them first and get it over with! But I thought I would try it anyway, as I had all the ingredients in the house, and I am glad I did. Every single family member thought it was great--or perhaps they were just all very hungry, so anything would taste good! Anyway, I thought I would share it here and I hope some of you like it just as well. One thing I will say is that because the whole wheat pasta is brown in color, it is nice if you have a bright, pretty dish to serve it up in. Otherwise it can look a little blah....

Pasta with garlicky Roasted Broccoli
Makes 6 servings
Prep 10 minutes
Roast at 400 for 13 minutes
Cook 10 minutes

6 cups fresh broccoli florets (I only had frozen, so I very lightly defrosted and then used it)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper (I usually stay away from pepper, so I left this out)
3 T. olive oil
12 ounces whole-wheat rotini pasta
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used imitation chicken broth)
2 T. butter (I left this out, but put in one additonal T. olive oil)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (This would be yummy, but I need to avoid dairy so left this out as well)

1) Heat oven to 400. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

2) Combine broccoli, garlic, walnuts, salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and stir until coated Place broccoli mixture on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast at 400 for 13 minutes, stirring twice.

3) Cook pasta following package drections, about 10 miutes. Drain and return to pot.

4) Add broccoli mixture to pasta pot and stir in broth, butter and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Enjoy! :D

4 comments:

~marci~ said...

I can do this! I can use rice pasta, and instead of the Parmesan, use soy cheese...or cheese flavored tofu! Thanks for sharing te recipe. The picture looks yummy...I am ready to dig in...any leftovers???

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

This sounds great! We will have to try it. I already LOVE roasted broccoli - my family are not real excited about it but maybe everything together will make it something they would like.
Lisa :o)

Friend said...

There actually WERE some leftovers! Usually, we never get as many servings out of a recipe as it may list--so I figured if it "said" it was six servings, it would be a good four servings for us. But the whole wheat pasta is more filling, so it actually was what I would say is a "true" six serving dish.

Unknown said...

You had me at "garlicky"! Sounds wonderful, I will try it very soon!

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors