Have you ever caught a lizard by the tail only to have him escape your grasp leaving his tail in your hand? I admit I do not usually reach out trying to grab critters, but today at church our pastor shared how he had done this once--only to be startled when left with one tail but no lizard!
Somehow, built into this small creature, God placed the ability for the lizard to know when it is time to go--let go! Paul wrote "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13,14 The lizard is a good illustration for this text! He does not sit down first and lament that he will have to leave without his tail, and mourn about all the time he will have to live without one before a new tail can finally be grown. I suspect the lizard does not even give it a second thought--he simply sheds the thing that is tying him to captivity, and leaves immediately in freedom! We need to emulate the lizard in this trait. Anything that is keeping us from God we need to learn to let go. Then we can grow a brand new experience WITH God.
Another trait of lizards is that they can change colors. This allows them to blend in with their environment. If they are crawling on green leaves, they will be green. A brown tree trunk, they change to brown. Perhaps a red brick house, they will appear red! What are YOU hanging around? Are you hanging around Jesus? If we do hang around Jesus, through Bible study, prayer, and studying about His life, we will indeed be changed to be like Jesus. "Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character." 1 Corinthians 15:33
And finally, lizards can be found living in MANY places. It's hard to keep them out. I have even found them in my own modern house several times--or perhaps I should say my cat has found them! I have no idea how they come in--perhaps around the dryer vent? Maybe crawling under the door? Possibly when someone was leaving the door wide open in order to carry in something? Proverbs 30:28 says "A lizard can be caught with the hand, yet it is found in kings' palaces." A lizard may be found living in a shack. But if he wants to, he can also make his way into a palace! With persistance, WE can also enter the throne room of the living God. But unlike the lizard, we do not have to crawl or sneak inside. No, instead we are honored and invited to come in as children of the Highest Power in the Universe. The invitation is given to each one of us..."The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come!' And let him who hears say, 'Come!' Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life." Revelation 22:17
(Credit for ideas contained in this post go to Pastor Gettys, if you would like to listen to his sermon it can be found at www.mcdonaldroad.org)
3 comments:
Susan~ I know I tell you this every time you post but I was truly blessed by your post. Very good lessons for us to learn. I love the way that God uses Nature to teach us so many lessons!
Have a great Sabbath day,
Lisa :O)
Lisa--
It means a LOT to me to hear it, too! I do not do well at posting often, and it means a lot for me to know that when I DO make myself stop in life long enough to think through a devotional post, that it was actually a blessing to someone else! Which is what I always hope/pray they will be!
I can so relate to this post! Just this weekend I had the "left with a tail" experience, while the lizard scurried across my kitchen floor!
I pray the Lord will help me when it comes time for me to let go of whatever it is that separates me from Him.
Post a Comment