Tuesday, January 17, 2012

52 Weeks, 52 Verses




Good Morning Everyone!

As most of you know, over the past year I have become involved in the Bible in 90 Days program. In 2011, using this program I successfully completed reading the entire Bible, cover to cover TWICE, each time in a 90 day time period. Nothing specifically "magic" about 90 days in particular. It's just a number. But for me, it ended up being a number that was fast enough that I felt I could see the end not too far in the distance. I have never had much success with one year Bible reading plans. Guess my attention span doesn't last for one year! Anyway, so the 90 Day program has worked well for me--the first Bible reading plan that has REALLY worked for me. I enjoyed my Bible reading so much that I am going to try and repeat reading the Bible again this year, 2012. I have started (January 1!) again, and it is going pretty well. Some days are more of a struggle than others, depending upon what other things are going on that day and how early I need to get out of the house.

I have found that pretty much when I am involved in the 90 Day reading schedule, I do not have much time for anything else for quiet time. The Bible reading takes me around an hour a day, so I cannot add much of anything else--no time!

Well. . . Here I go, sticking my toe into the water with something else. It's probably foolish to even try, but hey--if I am going to be foolish about ANYTHING, I would suppose that being foolish about God's Word would be a pretty wise thing to be foolish about, wouldn't you think? I may not be successful in this, but I have learned from a friend of mine about a 52 Weeks, 52 Verses challenge that is going on this year. Very simple concept--learn one Bible verse of your choice each week. Simple, right? In all my spare time. . .

Maybe it won't work. Maybe I won't put in enough time to actually memorize the verses. But oh well. If I do not end up memorizing the verses, at the very least I will have reviewed more in depth 52 Bible verses, and thought more about them. That's not so bad either! I will still be making a priority my 90 Day Bible reading. That has got to remain my Number 1 focus. This will be my Number 2 focus. It may fall off the edge of my busy plate. But whatever "crumbs" of verses do get memorized will only bless me, I know.

Soooooooo, anyone want to join me????? It's not too late to start! :) There is no "assigned" list of verses. You pick whatever verses are speaking to you, to your heart. I had learned about this the first week of January, but then lost the paper I had written my note about it on, and only found it yesterday. So I am already behind. But that's o.k.

Here are the verses I am going to start with. Feel free to grab my verses if you like them. And if you like this idea, please share with me the verse you choose for this week. I would love to have others memorizing with me! :)

1. Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. Isaiah 59:1

LOVE LOVE LOVE that verse. I think it is probably my number one favorite Bible verse in the WHOLE ENTIRE Bible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he? Isaiah 2:22

Another GREAT verse from the book of Isaiah! LOVE Isaiah! I love how it states "Of what account is he?"

3. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you, he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

I picked this verse from my Bible in 90 Days reading, as just this week I was reading through Deuteronomy and into Joshua. It is awesome to imagine being there, as Moses gave his last messages to the Children of Israel, knowing that he was soon to die. Trying to think what he could possibly say to encourage them to stay true to God.

So there you have it. My first three verses for this new year. We'll see what happens with them. If I can, I will add more verses to them. Whatever happens, I know it will only be for my benefit.

I love God's Word, don't you?

What to join me??????

3 comments:

Briana said...

Yay! :) I'll be praying for you as you work on this new challenge!

Friend said...

Thanks, Briana! I can use all the prayers I can get! :)

Glenda said...

Hi,
I saw your blog name on someone else's page who just added me.
I really like this idea of 52 a week.
I want to join you in memorizing.
It will be fun to pick out the verse each week.
Thanks for sharing.

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors