Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I am a Happy Herbivore!--Part 2



Hi Everyone!

See my "Happy Herbivore" smile?  I told you I was thrilled to receive this book!  Not only is it filled with tasty recipes, but even better--it is helping me to improve both my own health as well as the health of my family.  I consider THAT a very good investment!!!  My "don't-change-my-food" husband is 100% behind me as well.  It didn't take very many of Lindsay's recipes to convince him that eating whole food is not only tasty but helps you feel better too.

So, as promised, here is the interview with Lindsay that I promised!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan:  Lindsay, can you tell me how you became interested in healthy
eating?  You must have grown up eating a whole plant food diet, right?


Lindsay:  To my mom's credit, she did cook nearly every night (fast food and eating out was uncommon), but it wasn't whole foods or plant-based. Like most Americans, our family dinner revolved around a lot of meat, with one or two vegetable sides, covered in butter and maybe white pasta or white rice, also covered in butter. Since I grew up mostly a vegetarian out of a love for animals, I pretty much just ate the sides. 

I lapsed back to meat-eating in my late teens due to family pressure and peer pressure. A serious health scare in my early 20's brought me back to a vegetarian diet and about a year later I adopted a totally plant-based (vegan) diet. I was motivated mainly for health reasons, but I also care about the environment and am moved by the plight of farm animals.

In January this year, my parents joined me. My husband is also plant-based, and so is my sister. It's wonderful to see the whole family eating plants!



Susan:  Your recipes are based on the "L.E.A.F." plan--can you explain
exactly what that is?


Lindsay:  Low fat, Easy, Affordable, Fast recipes. I don't think eating well has to be expensive or complicated. I think it's realistic for everyone and that's what I try to show with my recipes. I use normal "everyday" ingredients. My recipes come together in 5-30 minutes. It's all about making healthy practical. I also advocate a low fat, no oil plant-based diet.



Susan:  What about olive oil?  Isn't that supposed to be good for you?
And what about nuts?  They are "whole food," yet high in fat.  Are
they still good  to eat?


Lindsay:  It's all clever marketing. Oil is so unhealthy. If you believe there is some magical property in olive oil, then it's also in the olive. Eat the olive.

For more information about oil: 








Susan:  What about coconut oil?




 As for nuts/seeds/avocado, if you have heart disease or are trying to lose weight, you should not eat nuts, avocado or any added fats -- even whole, unprocessed added fats. "The fat you eat is the fat you wear." - Dr. McDougall. If you don't have heart disease, are active and do not need to lose weight, a few nuts or seeds on occasion is fine.

Many of the oil links above also discuss nuts.


Susan:  Do you have any recommendations for someone wanting to change
their diet--is it better to change "cold-turkey," or to gradually
replace unhealthy foods with healthier versions?


Lindsay:  I've counseled hundreds of people making a switch and those who go "cold tofu" have the best experience by far.

Susan:  What if you are the only one in your family who is interested in
healthy eating?  Any recommendations on how a person can be successful
in that situation?
Do what's right by you and lead by example. I was the first in my family and now everyone is plant-based, even the dogs :)

Also, try the individual meal plan: http://getmealplans.com


Susan:  What about a person who wants to eat healthy--but has a HUGE sweet
tooth?  Is there any hope for them?  How can they overcome their sweet
tooth--or do they need to?


Lindsay:  You can have sweets on a plant-based diet -- but sugar is addicting so for some people, they have to totally go off it for a few weeks to break the addiction. Some people are so addicted they can never return to sugar. I found I wanted sweets a lot less when I cleaned up my diet. I eat fruit and that satisfies. 
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed that interview!  Next week--I promise!--the sample recipe for Blueberry Bundt Cake from Lindsay's new cook book, "Happy Herbivore Abroad." Or, if you just can't wait--go order yourself a copy from Amazon!  And if you use the link below when you order, you will be helping raise money for children's Hemiplegia & Stroke Association, a non-profit organization that helps fund foot braces for disabled children who need the braces to walk and their families need assistance to afford--all at no additional cost to you whatsoever!  How cool is that?  A win-win for sure!


~Susan


cid:3416914875_5620348

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors