Monday, September 22, 2014

I Am the Vine--verses 23-27



Good Morning Everyone!

It has been awhile. . . Sorry I missed the last couple weeks in posting.  All last week I had a sick little girl.  Not seriously sick, but just enough to make her miserable--AND enough that she didn't feel like doing anything by herself!  So time found to spend on the computer for me became zero.  But that's alright--she needed me more than my little blog needed me.

Nonetheless, time marches on.  More specifically, the Bible memory schedule is marching on.  I missed posting for two weeks, and now this week is the very last verse in the chapter!  So time to play catch-up just a bit!  Our last few verses are as follows:

"He who hates Me hates My Father also."  v. 23

"If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father."  v. 24

The part which stood out to me in these verses was specifically verse 23--"He who hates Me hates My Father also."  The two are one--the Father is the Son and the Son is the Father.  They do not operate separately or in different directions, but always together.

"But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law. 'They hated Me without a cause.'"  v. 25

"But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."  v. 26

In these verses I especially noticed what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit.  He sent the Spirit to continue His work on earth, and this Spirit is called the "Spirit of truth."  It reminds me. . . I have started recently to (once again) read the Bible through.  Starting in Genesis and going all the way through until I reach Revelation.  In times past, I have been most successful in doing this in a fast paced way--that just works for me, to read the Bible through the same way you would read another book.  But this time, I am wanting to read through slower--stopping, pausing, researching, reflecting, but still hope to steadily read my way through once again.  Anyway, I just recently read the account of the fall in the Garden of Eden.  How Satan tricked Eve, how he lied, how he deceived.  He is the exact opposite of the Holy Spirit, whom is referred to here as the "Spirit of Truth."  Unlike Satan, the Holy Spirit is a helper we can trust.

"And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning."  v. 27

I can't help but ask myself--
What witness will my life show?

I am far from perfect.  I didn't even accomplish the goal I set for myself to memorize John 15 word perfect.  I thought I could do it--I had been successful with Isaiah 55. . . but not this chapter.  Oh, I have memorized a LOT more of it than I used to know before attempting, that is for sure.  But I am not going to be crossing that finish line along with the other people in the Bible memory group who are working on memorizing the same chapter. . .

Or am I?

For that is when it came to me.  I know now what kind of a witness my life will show.  My life will show the runner who was running the race thinking all was well--but then tripped and fell.  The one who has completely lost all chances of winning--of even finishing.  The one for whom all hope is lost.  But God.  At that moment, God came along in the race, and instead of passing me by as I lay there crumpled on the track, He stopped and picked me up.  And holding me close to His heart, He starts running again.  I am doing nothing except weighing Him down, but He will not leave me behind.  And together--in His strength, we will cross that finish line.

Because He is my vine.  If I abide in Him I will bear much fruit.  But without Him, I can do nothing.

Have a beautiful week with your Beautiful Savior.  And above all, abide in Him.

~Susan

2 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

You are victorious, my friend! Whether or not all the words are memorized, the Word is in you. Yes, because He is your vine. Love that.

And you do know there's one more week after this one? We're officially on vs 25-26 this week, then next week will be 27.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

I love how you explained that- it was beautifully stated! I admire you for attempting such a goal of memorizing a whole chapter! I am doing good to memorize the basic ideas of verses and where they are. But the memory work I have done has been a real blessing. Thanks for the encouragement!
God bless~ Lisa :O)

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors