Friday, January 19, 2018

Frugal Friday! Week of January 14-20, 2018



Good Morning Everyone!

How is everyone doing? I am not sure about where you are living, but where I am the weather has been just bitter cold!  Add to that cold ice, and we had three days this past week when area schools were all cancelled--not so much from snow, as there was only around one inch of the white stuff, but roads were just a sheet of ice for a few days there.  Even the college where my husband closed, and THAT doesn't happen too often, mainly because the majority of their students are living on campus in the dorms!  But professors and staff could not make it in, so closed it was!

So--with all this cold weather, I do realize our poor furnace has been struggling night and day trying to keep it warm in our house. We have been doing what we can, using our wood stove to help heat, but even the wood stove has had trouble keeping up!  So this week had be thinking about hot breakfasts!  None of that cold pour-out-of-the-box stuff when it is THIS cold outside!

I have made a variety of different recipes this week in my "warm breakfast quest," but my favorite is always my "Breakfast Rice Pudding" recipe. When I shared a picture online of my breakfast right before I devoured it, I had many people request the recipe. So I thought it would be a good one to share for this week's Frugal Friday.  Afterall, it is often less expensive to make yourself a special breakfast at home than it would be to go out to eat--and it is usually healthier as well!


So here it is--my "Breakfast Rice Pudding" recipe!  Original recipe posted on the Forks Over Knives site--shared here with a few tweaks by me! ;) 

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups unsweetened plant milk--I use soy milk that I make myself
1/2 tsp. cinnamon 
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, chopped--I LOVE the tart apple, but if I don't have one I will use any apple that I have and it is still good
1/4 cup raisins
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped almonds

1. Combine the rice, milk, cinnamon, cloves, and dates in a medium saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally over medium low heat for 12 minutes or until mixture thickens.

2.  Remove from heat and add apple, raisins, and salt.  Mix well.

3.  Serve garnished with chopped almonds, and additional milk if desired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And there you have it!  The most wonderful breakfast on a bitter cold day!  I usually have all of the ingredients already on hand, and you probably will as well!  So that is one way that I saved money this week--instead of going out to eat for a hot breakfast, I made a ever so yummy hot breakfast right here at home!  It tasted wonderful, and my body didn't feel yucky after I ate it like it does if I eat something not healthy.

How did YOU save money this week?  I would love to hear!  Sharing helps all of us get even more great ideas!

~Susan



No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors