
I am curious--did any of you try my Cranberry Salad recipe that I shared last week on Frugal Friday??? If so, how did you like it? Was it too tart for your taste buds, or did you like the tartness?? I know several of my friends are going to be trying it, so I await hearing if they are still speaking to me after taking a bite. . . ! ;)
I have a new project that I have been up to this week to share with you. This was not something that I was planning on, nor something that I have done before--but I am enjoying using a little bit of time and some materials that I already had to hopefully bless some women and their daughters. It all started when I went to church this past weekend and started reading the bulletin. There was an advertisement in the bulletin asking for help with something called "Headbands for Africa." I had never heard of this program before, but upon reading further I discovered that the local Christian college in our town is going to be taking a mission trip to Africa. This part is not surprising--I know that many groups from this college--especially groups like nursing students, etc. will take mission trips over Christmas or Spring Break. Well, evidently, a group from this college has gone to Africa in the past and are going to be returning again this coming Spring Break. And they want to take headbands with them as they did last year. Now, I never heard of them going last year, but the announcement said that they did, and that they took with them headbands--NOT for cold, like we might think of, but instead for HEAT. The women and girls work out in the fields, and they use the headbands to keep sweat from dripping down into their faces. There was a poster board advertising this in the foyer of our church, along with pictures of different types of headbands that could all work for this project. They encouraged people to use up different scraps of yarn that they may have sitting around in their homes, as a headband is a perfect project for just a small amount of yarn.
This was one of the pictures that the lady in charge of this project had included on her advertising poster:
She said that they love bright colors, and that they need headbands in small, medium, and large sizes. And only acrylic yarn, no wool yarn, since of course they are using them for heat--not cold. I am no expert by any means, but I do have some basic crochet skills. . . and I also have some leftover yarn!
And so--I came home and started searching online for a free headband pattern, and found this video tutorial:
Headband tutorial
And following this easy video, I was able to take some of my leftover yarn from another project years ago, and make these:
I am hoping to add a red flower to the yellow headband still. The red headband is what I am estimating as the size for an adult, and the yellow one for perhaps an older girl. I want to bring them to church with me this weekend and ask the lady in charge of this project her thoughts on the sizes, before I make more. After getting her thoughts on sizing, I am hoping to make a bunch more out of all the colors of yarn you can see in the picture. This project covers several areas, 1) it is an enjoyable craft project for me--I find crocheting very relaxing; 2) instead of cluttering up my home, this craft project actually declutters it, as I use up supplies that I already had in my home, and 3) it blesses someone else with an item that will help them.
And there you have it! My Frugal Friday project for this week. :) What did you do this week to be frugal? How have you or how can you use your talents and what is in your hand to bless others? I would love for you to share!
~Susan

No comments:
Post a Comment