Monday, September 20, 2021

Frugal Friday! Week of September 12-18, 2021

 

Hello Frugal Friends!

I hope you had a great week! I did! I am blessed to never be bored, and to ALWAYS have something to do! It is a huge blessing in life to feel like you have a purpose when you wake up in the morning!

So on to our frugal endeavors! 

*My husband and I attended a recital that our daughter played in. I love listening to her preform, and each one of the other children as well. When you take lessons for several years from the same music teacher, you end up seeing many of the same children play in each recital. Even not being THEIR parents, we are amazed as we recognize their progress and growth musically, and I feel like all of the parents are one big “Fan Club” so to speak, as we encourage each child who plays. And let me tell you, ever since I started receiving violin lessons from my daughter about two and a half years ago, I have a whole new appreciation for the work these kids are doing! Learning the violin or viola is HARD work!


*This next frugal savings credit goes completely to my hubby! We were at Lowe’s, needing to purchase some more mulch for our garden pathways. I was feeling kind of bad that I hadn’t realized we needed more mulch when they recently had their Labor Day sale, when my hubby looks at me and said “Don’t they sell their ripped bags for a discount?” I had completely forgotten about that, but looked at him and said “Yes, but we would need a tarp or they will make a mess in the van” to which he replied “I brought a tarp!” Yay! Let’s hear a cheer for the hubby who remembered both the discount AND to bring a tarp with us! We ended up purchasing all of the ripped bags that they had that were still rather full, leaving the ones that the bark was all spilled out of. We got five bags of bark for only $1 each! I told him I was going to give him credit on my blog!


*I found a book in a Free Little Library that I will put aside for a Christmas present. It is not brand new, but it IS a book that is out of print and is a real treasure. I already have a copy of my own, and know the recipient will appreciate it!

*I bought twenty more notebooks on clearance at Walmart for .10 cents each. I did not “need” more notebooks at this time, but that is a better price than I ever see any more, and I have room on my shelf in the basement where we store our school supplies. So since paper does not spoil, I went ahead and invested $2.00 to add to our supplies.

*I found a new to us book to add to our home library. I have a rather extensive collection of older mission stories, and since I DO have so many it is rare that I run across one that I do not already have! And the price of .35 cents is not a bad price! I love the artwork on these older books, how often the front cover picture wraps around to the back cover as well! My children and I have spent many MANY hours reading from my book collection, and I still read out loud each evening to our daughter even though she IS 17! I am personally convinced that this habit has helped improve her vocabulary and enabled her to score high in the Reading section of the ACT exam last school year when she took it. Sorry for the sideways picture! I didn’t realize it was sideways when I took it, but you can at least get an idea of the artwork that I am talking about. 


*My husband and I worked together and changed our dryer vent. This will help save from house fires, as well as not having someone else to clean it. We were originally going to just clean it ourselves, but it was so thick with lint (even though we clean the lint trap of the dryer every single time) that we decided the best thing to do would be to replace it with new. Our dryer is in the basement, and the vent is long as it goes up the wall and out of the house. There are several turns that it has to make, it is NOT a straight out of the house setup at all! My guess is our house was built originally with no washer or dryer hookups, and they were added in much later so are not exactly a well thought out design. The new pipe cost around $20, and the peace of mind for me is well worth that cost. 

*I took some clothes that did not work for either my daughter or myself to the resale store. What they cannot use they will donate, and what they can use will give us a little store credit which we can use to get items that DO fit us! 

*I hiked with my daughter. This time, she came to me one day and simply said “I think I need a hike.” 


She now recognized how hiking helps her emotions feel better—always! I think it is fantastic to have healthy ways to help ourselves feel better, and exercise definitely does!


And so we wandered to woods together. . . 


Discovering treasures popping up everywhere. . . 


Enjoying the delicate beauty. . . 


I loved the green carpet of moss underneath this little guy! Hiking is a frugal way to help our mental health, and our physical health—all at the same time!

How was your week?  What did you do to save money and bless your family?  I would love to hear about it!

~Susan




No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors