Sunday, September 12, 2021

Frugal Friday! Week of September 5-11, 2021

 

Hello Frugal Friends!

How was your week? I hope it was filled with much happiness and many good things!

Confession time—this was a hard, hard week emotionally.  Which is my first “frugal” thing so let’s start right in. . . 

*I sat with my dear friend as she had to have her precious cat put to sleep.  During this past week, my sweet friend texted me as I ate breakfast, telling me that her kitty Strelka was having great difficulty breathing, and that she was afraid this might be “it.” I immediately texted back and asked if she would like me to meet her at the vet’s office, which is actually in-between her apartment and my house. She texted back “WOULD YOU???, I would LOVE it!”  This lovely friend was born quite a bit after her nearest sibling, if I remember correctly about 12 years later.  Her parents are both passed away.  Her older sister died years ago from pancreatic cancer, and her older brother whom we had the pleasure of knowing has also passed away.  She has no husband, and she has no children.  She DOES have a wonderful nephew, but he lives several states away, so I knew that if this WAS the end for her furry family member that she would be facing it all by herself. My friend was able to get an appointment right away, and we met each other in the parking lot.  As soon as I saw Strelka my heart sank, because even not having any medical training at all it was very obvious to me that her kitty was indeed laboring for each and every breath. We were ushered immediately into an exam room, and the vet joined us in a moment.  His exam discovered that Strelka’s lungs were filled with fluid, and that fluid was very bloody.  The diagnosis was either heart failure or cancer, as those were the two things that could cause this—neither one is something easily curable especially in a cat that was 14 years old.

Sigh.  And so we both sat there crying, as my friend signed the paperwork for her precious loved one to be put to sleep.  Strelka has been with my friend through a very messy divorce, through fleeing the California fires not once but TWICE as fire threatened to completely burn the town where she lived, and through picking up and moving completely across country and starting life all over again here in Tennessee. You can see, they have been through a lot together. My friend decided to have Strelka cremated, and I helped her choose a lovely urn for the ashes. 

I felt completely helpless, as I sat there crying like a baby and rubbing her back.  At one point I apologized for not being better moral support, to which she turned to me and said “You are showing empathy! You are of great support!” 

And so as I reflect back, I have decided that this was going to be included in my list of “frugal” activities for the week.  Truly, it really does not need to cost us anything at all to be kind. . . So let’s be kind, shall we?

On to happier activities!


*I bought a sundress from LLBean, and thanks to the fact that we had “Bean Bucks” it was completely free!  Yay! This style doesn’t look that great on the hanger—you have to put it on to add your own shape. ;) But it is a lovely way to add a bit of dressy and still feel super comfortable. I love free!

*I accepted a plateful of garden tomatoes from a friend.  I was delighted when she showed up at my house with a bag of tomatoes for me.  She said a neighbor had given her mom three bags of tomatoes, her mom passed some of them on to her, and then she brought some of them over to me!  Wasn’t that nice?  Especially since our tomatoes in our garden are long gone, they have been extra special!  

*When I went grocery shopping on Friday, I found a lovely mum that was on clearance, and bought it for my friend who lost her kitty.  I have no idea why this flower was on clearance, because it only had a couple open flowers and all the rest of it was absolutely covered with buds just ready to burst.  It was not half dead or anything, but maybe it was one from a previous lot that just hadn’t sold yet?  I don’t know, but I did think it would be lovely for my friend to be able to watch the flowers open up and become more and more lovely each day.  I hope it brings her cheer and comfort to her hurting heart!

Well, THAT was my week!  How was YOUR week?  I would love to hear about it!

Remember to be kind, whenever possible!

~Susan


4 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a cute dress! And yes - Free is great!!
So sorry about your friends loss. My Mother in law had to have her inside dog put down a week ago Friday. Although I was not able to go with her - I did choose to go visit her Sabbath afternoon because I knew she has been lonely.
Have a great week! :O)

Susan M. said...

I am sure she appreciated your visit!

Bonnie said...

Susan, what a thoughtful, kind act to be with your friend as her cat passed. She will not forget that. I remember years ago I was alone and having to put one of my pets down, and was just sitting with her in the vet's office, alone and kissing her, when the door opened and a friend walked in, totally surprising me). It was still so hard, but we cried together back at home and I will never forget that gift of her friendship and time. Extra caring on your part now with covid still an issue.

Friend said...

Thank you, Bonnie!
I feel it was a “God thing” that I was even free that day, as often I am out on appointments for my daughter. I am thankful I was able to be God’s hands in that moment.

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors