Saturday, November 20, 2010

He Watches over You



This past week I was working in my kitchen and heard this loud "KerPLUNK!" I immediately knew that a bird had flown into my kitchen window, in spite of our having suncatchers hanging in the window to prevent this very thing. I peeked out the back doorway, hoping to see nothing. Hoping that whatever bird had hit would have been able to just hit and immediately take off flying again. No such luck. There he (she?) was, not only on the ground, but completely upside down with legs sticking straight up in the air. My heart sank. I was sure the bird was either already dead, or soon to die. I saw a tiny bit of movement, and realized that for now, it was still alive. I wasn't sure the best thing to do, as I didn't want to pick up the bird and therefore SCARE it into an early grave--yet at the same time I couldn't see just leaving it upside down either. I watched it for a long time, and saw no attempt to right itself. Finally, praying that I wasn't doing something harmful to it, I decided to pick it up. If it was going to die, I figured it could at least be more comfortable being right side up. I prayed that it would somehow know that I was a friend, not a foe. That I would not try to hurt it. The bird did not struggle at all as I held it gently in my hand. I called Alison to come and see it, and helped her to gently pet it's back with a finger. We called for Austin to bring his camera and take a picture (Austin--here's your photo credit for the above photo!). The bird just stayed in my hand for a very long time, just working on breathing. One of it's wings was hanging out kind of funny, but it wasn't obviously broken so I helped fold it up and tuck it in like the other wing was. And then we prayed. Jesus promises us that His Father in heaven sees when even a sparrow falls, so we claimed that promise and knew that the God of the Universe saw this little bird in my hand. We asked if it was His will, that He make this bird well again, and able to fly and live it's life.

Alison asked if she could hold the bird, so after transfering the bird to her hand I went inside to grab my camera. Coming out the back door again, I didn't think and let the screen door slam behind me--and the bird took off! We were thrilled--even if I didn't get a picture of Alison holding it! The bird flew to our maple tree just a little bit away, and perched there to rest for a while, long enough for me to get a picture of him happy!

I thought more about this bird as the rest of the day went on. This bird was knocked down hard by life (literally!). He was very vulnerable when he was down. I could have easily crushed out his life, and he would have been powerless to stop me. But instead I lifted him up, and tried my best to help him. Given a bit of rest, he was able to recover. How often are we like this bird. Knocked down by circumstances in life. Easily crushed. In need of someone to pick us up and help us rest awhile. How are we treating other people? When they are not doing well, do we crush them, or support them? Sometimes, we hold in our hand the power to lift someone up, or smash them down where they will never recover. May we always lift them up, as the true Lifegiver would have us to do.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." Matthew 10:29, NIV

3 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Susan -what a great story! I am so glad that the little birdie made it. I loved how you used it as an example of the power that we have. A great post and something for us all to think about.
Have a great Sabbath!
Lisa :o)

Elijah said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog.
I'm sorry to hear that of your son's service dog's passing. CCI dogs are truly great animals.
I hope to see Dembre go on to be someone's indpendence :)

Unknown said...

Hi Susan, Congratulations! You're one of the winners of my Homestead Blessings The Art of Crafting giveaway, please e-mail me at broadhorizonshsATgmailDOTcom with your name and address no later than Wed, Dec. 1. Thanks!

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors