Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bible in 90 Days--Day 68!


Day 68--a very significant day in the Bible reading program, because this is the day that we transition from reading in the Old Testament into the New Testament. I am so very thrilled, excited, and blessed to be at this point in my reading. I have to confess--I didn't REALLY think I would make it this far, and I am estatic to be here. I know full well I never could have done it without the prayers that have supported me along the way.

I am already starting to miss the significant time spent in Bible reading each day--and I still have around 20 days left of reading! But it's starting to FEEL like we are almost done. One good thing, though, is I already know how this story ends--with Jesus coming back to take us to our forever homes! :) I am seriously considering becoming a volunteer mentor for when the next Bible in 90 Days program runs an on-line read-a-thon. I know in this program I am taking part in, they ended up having so many people participate that they did not have enough mentors for all the participants to be in a mentor group. I would love to be able to help others achieve their goal of reading the Bible through.

Two really neat verses that jumped out at me in this day's reading:

Malachi 3:10-12 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the Lord Almighty. "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the Lord Almighty.

How many blessings are so many that we do not have room enough for them? And also to note is this is one time that God is specifically telling us to TEST Him! To prove Him at His word. To see if He will come through with His promise. If I were to write someone a check for a million dollars, it would not mean much because there is no way I can back up that promise. But do we think God is trustworthy enough to back up HIS promises? How much power do we think He has--CAN he come through with what He has promised??? Do we trust Him enough to test Him when He tells us to?

My second favorite text from this day's reading:

Matthew 4:23,24 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. News about him spread all over Syria, and people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed, and he healed them.

Perhaps this verse is precious to me in paticular because my child has a seizure disorder, and is also partially paralyzed. But I can just imagine only too well, what it would have been like to be the parent of a disabled child who was brought to Jesus and healed. How in your wildest dreams you had never even hoped that your child would ever be made well. With what kindness Jesus had reached out and touched your little one--the one whom you loved more than your own life, and Jesus made them well. I find it interesting that whenever Jesus was brought a sick person, He didn't appear to make them sit down and take Bible studies first and pass written quizzes before He would heal them if they scored high enough. He healed them first--taking care of their immediate needs, then spoke words of compassion and instruction to them, when they were open to receiving his words of life.

Well, here we go. Onto the New Testament. Happy Sabbath everyone! And don't forget to spend some time with Jesus today.

3 comments:

tnphotobug said...

Very nice, Mom!! Love your post!! :)

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Susan~ This was a very good post - with several great points. So proud of you for sticking to your reading program!!!
Great job!
Lisa :o)

Bethany LaShell said...

I've wondered how the whole reading the Bible in 90 days thing worked. I love your enthusiasm! I'm having a hard enough time reading the Bible in a year - lol!

Thanks for stopping by my library post. You might want to look into cataloging all of your books; that way you could glance through the list every so often to make sure you aren't missing anything that you don't have upstairs. Just a thought. You could always pay one of your older kids to do it for you during the summer :-).

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors