Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bible in 90 Days--Day 80!


Time is passing by so fast! Spring is truely here in my corner of the world, and while I have not had much time lately to write about it--I have still been plugging away with my Bible reading. Yesterday I finished the book of Romans. I have found so MANY wonderful gems in this book. Way too many to share here, or I would simply be transcribing the entire book! But I still want to share some of the best of the best with you....

You know, it's kind of funny when you are reading all the way through the Bible, because whenever I run across a familiar verse I feel surprised! It is really neat to be finding it, and to have the complete context of that verse before you get to it. And I guess going through at a fast pace, you haven't forgotten what was just before that verse! Anyway, here are some of my very favorites from Romans:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

Isn't that beautiful? What else could this message possibly have added to it to convince us of God's love for us? I suppose it could have been written as "Nothing can separate us from God's love." But I kind of like it the way it is--I like all the examples! And even death--which is probably the strongest thing here in our lives. I mean, we often will hear the expression that while there is life, there is hope. But this verse tells us that even when there ISN'T life, even that cannot keep God's love from us. That is pretty incredible!

And then how about this verse:

"And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" Romans 10:15

Don't you want to have beautiful feet? I had a business person pay me a compliment last week, and I was shocked at how good it made me feel. It really ment a lot to have that little sincere comment of affirmation, and it wasn't even about anything of eternal value. How much more beautiful it is when we can share with others encouragement and good news about Jesus, and His eternal love for them which (as we have seen above!), NOTHING can separate us from!

Here's another wonderful passage:

"Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." Romans 12:4-8

How often do we find ourselves comparing our lives with others we see? And so often, in our own eyes anyway, we come out on the short end? Maybe we do not feel like we are doing all the same witnessing activities that someone we know is. Maybe we do not invite all the college students over to our house every weekend. Maybe we just end up feeling like we aren't doing anything of importance. But you know--as long as we are seeking God's will for OUR lives, asking Him what He wants US to do, we can rest in that. In knowing that our Creator created us especially for our special gifts, and that all we need to do is to use those gifts for Him. No matter if they are many gifts or few. They are His gifts. We are His children. And as long as we are willing to be used by Him, that's all we need to do.

And here is one more--too good to be left out:

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

God. Of. Hope. Not a idol who cannot see or hear or help. But THE God of hope. Filling us with ALL joy and peace. I like that. And what do you think it feels like to be "overflowing with hope?" Overflowing. Too much to hold. Over the top. More than what we need.

Enough to share.

May this day find YOU surrounded by God's joy and peace, and overflowing with hope.

4 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

What a blessing to read your post this morning!! Lots of great verses and thoughts!
Have a blessed day,
Lisa :o)

Bethany LaShell said...

The book of Romans sure does have some great theology! Congrats on a job well done reading the Bible in 90 days! You'll easily make it all the way there at this point.

Excellent question on my blog the other week about organizing e-books. Look for a blog post early next month on that topic. :-)

Bethany LaShell said...

I should try the timer at mealtime! I never thought of that and I do have a pokey at every meal. Thanks :-).

I thought I had a post on my blog about how to organize without having a separate room for schooling, but I can't seem to find it. I touch on it in my "Organize Your Homeschool" e-book (www.bethanylebedz.com), but not a whole lot. Sounds like a good topic for a future post, so look for it next month, too! :-)

tnphotobug said...

BEAUTIFUL post, Mom!! So awesome!! :) I'd tell you about my favorite part...but I can't, it was so wonderful!! Thanks so much for posting these wonderful insights and reminders. :D

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors