Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Bible in 90 Days--Day 37--Friends

Hi Everyone!

After a long absence due to a family trip--I'm back! :) But since I just returned today and have much to do before sleep, this will be short--but I did want to share a couple thoughts. . .

Currently in my Bible in 90 Days program, I was reading in "Day 37" today, which happens to be almost the entire book of Job. Not always viewed as the happiest book in the Bible, I must confess. But there are so many good points to ponder from Job's story.

First of all, it is made very obvious that Job did nothing wrong. The Bible clearly says "This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil." Job 1:1 God had richly blessed Job, for if you keep reading it also says "He had seven sons and three daughters, and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East." Job 1:2,3

He sounds like a great guy, doesn't he? Certainally the type you would want for a neighbor. He would always be honest and upright and helpful. And God greatly blessed him.

But when you keep reading Job's story, it soon looks like God is cursing him instead of blessing--and for no reason. Job hadn't sinned. He hadn't changed his mind about God. He hadn't lost his trust in God, he hadn't forgotten to pay an offering or to say his prayers one night. He hadn't slipped up in a diet and eaten something fattening. No, Job hadn't done ANYTHING wrong at all--he was still the same Job--upright and blameless. Yet his circumstances changed dramatically.

Reading the Bible story, we are let in to a behind the scenes picture--one where Satan is allowed to test Job, and the problems are coming from him, not from God. But Job didn't know this. Yet watch his actions. Does he complain? Well, yes, he laments anyway. Complain, not really. He does say that "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, may the name of the Lord be praised." Job 1:21 Just read the story in the Bible and refresh your memory of all that was done to Job in Satan's test. In the very same day, in fact, at the very same time--one right after another, Job is informed that his oxen and donkeys were stolen, his servants killed, fire burned up the sheep and their servants, raiding parties stole the camels and killed those servants, and a mighty wind knocked down the house and killed his children--ALL of them.

Then, Satan inflicts boils on Job's skin so he is in constant pain. Finally Job's friends show up. And what do they do? Tell Job how sinful he must be and encourage him to just go ahead and curse God and die. Have you heard the expression "With friends like that who needs enemies?" Well, that's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this story! Not only did Job's friends not help him any--either physically or emotionally--but they were discouraging him and telling him to do wrong!

I couldn't help but think of how important it is for us to be careful in choosing friends. And how even with being careful to choose wonderful, Christian, encouraging friends--we still need to ultimately cling only to God. All others will fail us. They are weak, sinful humans just like we are. But there is One who will never fail us.

Dear Father--I pray for You to use me as Your instrument. May I be an encourager, not a discourager. May I help hold up others, and not tear them down. Make me disappear, until only You remain.

1 comment:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Susan~ What a great post!! I really needed this today. And just for your information~ you have been a great encourager in my life. God blessed me so much when he brought you into my life!
Lisa :O)

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors