Hi Everyone!
Well, it is finished. My beautiful time reading the Bible through in 90 days is all over. Actually, I finished yesterday morning, as I never ended up using either of the two "grace" days that are built into the program. This was my second time doing this program, and as I finished yesterday I just sat at my desk in stunned silence. I couldn't believe I was done. I couldn't wrap my brain around how much Jesus loves me. The whole plan of redemption is so overwhelming wonderful, and you really gather a different picture of the whole thing when you are reading through at a faster pace rather than one Bible verse each day stuck on top of a devotional story. Nothing wrong with devotional books, of course--just that you haven't REALLY read the Bible until you READ it. And once you do, you will never be the same again.
This time through the Bible, I used a highlighter to mark verses that stood out to me as I read along. The first time I did this program I tried to just jot down notable verses on a piece of paper--that did NOT work for me! Too many verses to write down, and I could easily double my reading time if I really stopped to write everything down that I wanted to. But I was raised in an era of NOT marking in books at ALL, so it is sometimes hard for me to overcome that mentality. Anyway, THIS time I read with my trusty Bible marking pencil, and just underlined anything that caught my eye (o.k., so I still cannot bring myself to underline UNLESS I am using a ruler so my lines will be straight--but that works too!). I was SO blessed that I did this. And now I have a beautiful Bible marked with precious promises. Almost any page I open to, there is a special verse there for me. Priceless. I now wouldn't trade this Bible for ANYTHING. It is not in "perfect" condition any more, because it has been dragged around and even had food dropped on it as I read while I ate breakfast. But the "dirtier" my Bible became, the "cleaner" my heart was washed. :)
Now what will I do? For awhile, I will take a small breather and enjoy reading some smaller Bible passages at a slower pace. Enjoy being able to look up words and study further. But after a while, I think I have no choice. I will take down my Bible and open it to Genesis 1:1. And not stop until Revelation 22:21.
Jesus says "Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book." Rev. 22:7 How can I keep the words in the Bible if I am not reading it to have them fresh in my mind? The Bible also tells me "The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come!' And let him who hears say, 'Come!' Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life." Rev. 22:17 I don't know about you, but I am thirsty. And I want to accept the free gift of life.
Come, read with me. You can find more information at www.Biblein90days.org, and www.momstoolbox.com. You will never regret it.
5 comments:
Highlighting is totally the ticket. Easiest way to make sure you remember those important verses. Congrats from a fellow finisher!
I think I'll have to get a new Bible so I can do highlighting for that particular purpose. Congrats, Susan!
Beautiful verses to highlight the why of reading the whole Bible cover to cover. Reminds me of the comparison between the deer panting for water and our soul longing for God.
Way to go, Susan!!
Congratulations! I love your idea of highlighting special verses as you go along. I took notes throughout the OT, just to keep myself going. ;)
Post a Comment