Monday, June 10, 2013

Low Fat Vegan French Toast

Hi Everyone!

I have been frequently enjoying this recipe for vegan French Toast.  I make it with my own home made oatmeal bread--and I do not use any oil when I make my bread, so the only fat in the bread is just what occurs naturally in the whole wheat and oatmeal--very very little.  In times past, I never would have believed that you could make scrumptious French Toast without dairy products--but I was wrong, and very happily wrong.  This recipe uses garbanzo bean (chick pea) flour as it's base.  This is not as hard to find as one might think--I have even found it at Walmart's before, under the Bob's Red Mill company name.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!  I have tortured my friends by posting this photo on my Facebook page, and then it took me a loooong time to finally get the recipe up here.  But as they say, better late than never! :)

Vegan French Toast

6 whole wheat bread slices
1 cup plant-based milk (I use my home made rice milk--rice and water, that's it!)
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Cut bread diagonally and set aside.  Heat non-stick griddle or frying pan.  Whisk non-dairy milk with remaining ingredients and pour into a shallow pan (pie plate works great!).  Quickly dip a few bread slices into wet mixture and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, repeating until no more bread is remaining.  Garnish with powdered sugar and fresh fruit slices, or maple syrup, or fruit sauce.

Yum!

~Susan

1 comment:

Debbie J said...

That looks yummy!!!

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors