Thursday, June 20, 2013
Strawberry Pot
Hi Everyone!
Just thought I would take a minute and share a picture of our little strawberry garden! Remember that big wash-tub container I used for my herb garden? Well, I liked it so much that I got another one (Tractor Supply!) to use for my strawberries. These were some berry plants that were given to us last summer, and I really didn't have time to do up anything fancy for them then, so just threw them in two pots and figured they would probably die on me anyway. But they didn't! Not only did they not die last summer, but they actually survived the winter in spite of my never getting them covered with straw or anything, and came back in full force this spring! Which was wonderful--except that they were all a huge tangled mass, and waaaaaay to crowded in their two small pots! So the time finally came a couple weeks ago when I thought I would separate them and give them a bit more space by planting them in a nice big wash tub. Except that when I actually went to do it, their roots were so entangled that I was positive they would all die from the shock and trama of being ripped apart! But they didn't! Who knew strawberries could be tough little plants? I usually contain my self to dealing with blackberries--because THEY can usually survive my "black thumb!"
Well, anyway, I ripped those poor little plants apart and put them around four inches or so apart in the new, bigger pot. Except that the bigger pot ended up not really being big enough for all of them to be spaced out--so they sort of took over the new, big pot, as well as the two pots they previously were in! Ah well--I figured all is well as long as we got strawberries! That first strawberry started to turn red. I was watching it in anticipation, just waiting for the RIGHT color red to pick it, when all of a sudden it was GONE! :O I couldn't imagine what had happened to it! I have not seen any birds at all up near the strawberry pots, with them being right up against the house. And the pots were too high up for the bunnies to really bother them. . . I finally figured it out--it was our DOG! Bad dog! Well, dog has good taste, but bad dog for eating my strawberries! SO, my little collection of strawberry pots are now all clustered together along the house, and they have a piece of bunny fence surrounding them--which isn't really for the bunnies, but for the golden lab that likes to eat fresh strawberries! So far, it seems to be working just fine--which is nice, but of course, our patch is to small to get any huge quantities of berries from it. But it is STILL fun to be able to go out and pick a few to put on your breakfast cereal! :)
Hope you are all having a wonderful Spring!
~Susang
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!
2 comments:
That is so funny that your dog likes strawberries!
Lisa :O)
I planted strawberries this year and the roly polies are eating them! I thought they only ate decaying matter.
Post a Comment