Monday, June 3, 2013

Low Fat Peach Tofu "Ice Cream"

Hi Everyone!

Thought I would share a little experiment I tried last week.  It all started when I ran across a recipe for low fat strawberry ice cream that you could make at home.  It looked SO good--and was made using one of those "ice-less" ice cream makers, where you just put the tub into the freezer and it has some sort of liquid held within the walls of the bowl part of the maker.  I don't know what it is, but you freeze your canister for 24 hours and then put in your ice cream mixture.  Well, I USED to have one of these very ice cream makers--it was given to me by a friend who had a larger family and she was going to get a larger ice cream maker for her family to use, so she blessed me with her smaller one.  WELL, once I really had to start being stricter with the foods I ate, I had no idea how to make a truly healthy ice cream substitute--and we were moving at the time--so I gave it away.  I do not usually regret anything that I give away--I am always so blessed by finding things in a thrift store myself, that I always look at it as a double blessing--someone else will be blessed by my donation and I am blessed by the increase in space by the item that is no longer in my house.  But THIS has turned out to be one of those RARE items that I did wish I had not given away--sigh!  But oh well!

So I found this yummy looking strawberry ice cream recipe and was REALLY wanting to make it--but as stated above, I had no ice cream maker.  Sniff, sniff!  But all was not lost, as when I received my summer sale catalog for our Aldi's grocery store I saw that they were going to have this exact type of ice cream maker as one of their "Special Buys," those seasonal items that they do not carry year round--AND they were going to sell it for only $15.  That is not THAT much money, and I knew about it in advance, so I marked the date the sale would begin on my calendar so I could be there at the store the first day and buy one.  I had no idea how fast the ice cream makers would sell out, but I knew that I REALLY wanted one so I showed up and happily carried my new purchase home.  I was drooling already!



Now, if you have noticed the title of this post, it is called PEACH ice cream, not strawberry.  Yup.  I was SURE I already had a bag of frozen strawberries out in my freezer, so when I was at the store I didn't buy any.  I KNEW I had all the ingredients already.  Except that when I went to make the ice cream up--I didn't! :(   But not all was lost.  I DID have frozen peaches--quick change to peach ice cream! :)

While I wanted to come right home from Aldi's and make it up, the canister has to freeze for 24 hours first, so I had to be patient at least a little bit.  At least that gave me a chance to read through the instructions and the recipe and get it all planned so I would do it the right way.  The canister freezes for 24 hours as I already mentioned, but the directions of the ice cream maker also say to make up your ice cream mixture and have it chill in the fridge at least four hours.  So this morning I mixed up the mixture, and this afternoon I made the ice cream!  Or perhaps I should call it "tofu-cream?"  Whatever it is called, "I" thought it tasted yummy and so did my daughter--who is my resident "food critic."  If SHE eats it, it's good!

Disclaimer:  I, personally, do not care at all that this does not taste like REAL ice cream, so don't leave comments telling me it doesn't.  I know that.  But it also does not contain any dairy, which is an ingredient I am needing to stay away from, so I only care that it tastes sweet and cold.  If you don't like it, that's fine!

Low Fat Peach "Ice Cream"

1 carton Mori-Nu silken tofu--I use low fat, extra firm
16 oz. frozen peaches, slightly thawed
1 cup low fat soy milk--I used Aldi's store brand
1/4 cup maple syrup

Blend all ingredients until smooth in blender.  Chill in the fridge and then freeze following your ice cream maker's instructions.  For my little ice cream maker, it took around 35 minutes.  Keep in mind that home made ice cream does not usually freeze solid like store bought, but will be more akin to a thick milk shake in consistany.



I can see this Peach Tofu "Ice Cream" happening again soon, at a kitchen near me!  And I really DO want to try it as the strawberry version.  But first--I really need to try a chocolate version.  Stay tuned--I will let you know how it turns out! :)

~Susan




2 comments:

~marci~ said...

Mmmm~sounds yummy!!

Anonymous said...

that looks so good.

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors