Saturday, April 19, 2014

Come!













Come.

I have always been interested in Bible Memory.  Interested--but not successful.

Alright, so I have memorized verses here and there.  Beautiful verses.  Promises from God to me.  But there was always a problem.  As fast as I memorized them--I forgot them.  Or forgot where they were found.

Then in January I ran across an article on-line that was talking about Bible Memory.  My  ears perked up.  The article talked about how this person had the same problem as me--she would always forget where the verses she memorized were located as well.  And then she talked about what had solved her problem.

She stopped memorizing verses.

And started memorizing chapters.

I was shocked.  I mean, if I couldn't memorize verses, how in the world was I supposed to memorize whole entire chapters?  I mean, I am failing on the little stuff--don't trust me with the big stuff!

But then this article went on to explain that she didn't even try to remember individual verse locations any more.  She just memorized the entire chapter and then remembered the chapter number.  Which made a lot of sense to me--I mean, after all, if I can get to the right chapter, I can find the verse I am looking for.

I still wasn't sure I could do it.

But I had to try.

So armed with some verse cards printed out and laminated, I set out to find a spot to post them where I would see them every day.  I finally settled on the bathroom mirror.  After all, I would certainly look there each day.  And if I read the verse each time I looked, maybe--just maybe--that verse would start to dig it's way into my mind.

Each week a new verse was added.  After awhile my husband started dropping subtle hints about how he DID need just a bit of the mirror left so he could see himself in it.

Which made me think--wouldn't it be wonderful if we were so filled with God's Word that when people looked at us all they could see was Him?

Soon I added a laminated page with all thirteen verses onto the wall in my shower, and a second laminated page with first letter helps only on the opposite wall.  Soap up--read the verses.  Rinse off--turn around and quiz using the first letter helps.

And before long, I started to notice something.
If I woke up during the night, I would start thinking "Come."
If I felt bad about something during the day, "Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat!"
If I rushed into my day and cut short my quiet time, "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?"

Slowly.  Almost without any movement at all--Isaiah 55 started to work it's way into my heart.

"Come."

"Everyone who thirsts."

"He who has no money."

"Seek the Lord while he may be found."

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts."

"It shall not return to me empty."

"For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace."

Throughout the entire chapter God is calling me.  God is calling you.

"Come."

~Susan

4 comments:

R.M. Jackson said...

Individual verses here and there tend to be my undoing (I'll remember the words, but will hardly ever remember the exact location), so I started doing chapters instead a few years ago, and it really does work.

May God continue to bless you abundantly as you keep tucking away those verses.

Briana said...

That was the first whole chapter I memorized! It's so beautiful! :) I also do SO much better with chapters--I tried the verse thing, it doesn't work for me.

Lisa notes... said...

Such a beautiful testimony, Susan! I'm so glad you are part of our memorizing community. Your comments have been a blessing to me. Isaiah 55 has been a great chapter for me to hide in my heart too. We'll start preparing for a new one soon!

Kim said...

This is beautiful Thank you for sharing.

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors