Yes, I truely am still around here. Just have not been taking much time to post anything lately. Don't usually post too much anyway, but when I determined to participate in the "Bible in 90 Days" program, I knew something would have to go in order to fit it in--so decided that the most "optional" part of my life was probably my computer time!
My intention at the start was to blog about what I was reading as I went along--but that hasn't happened either! But that's o.k., because the most important thing IS happening--and that is that I am keeping up with my Bible readings! I am thrilled about this, and I know it is not because of me that I am doing this, but only because of people praying for me and the Holy Spirit helping me. I'm sure "life" will happen, and there are bound to be some days that I just cannot get that day's reading in--in fact, the whole 90 day program even "officially" has two grace days built into it. If you stick to the reading schedule, you actually read the Bible through in 88 days. But I am worried about using those grace days up too soon in the program, so I am holding them close and savoring the fact that I still have them--for when needed! One day, I even read both morning and evening, so therefore gained myself a third "grace" day!
So, where am I? Currently, Deuteronomy. But not for long--I'll be finishing that book tomorrow morning. I am really enjoying this Bible reading program. No, it's not what I would want to do ALL the time, because not enough time to stop and delve further into things that perk my interest. But I really am enjoying my little zooming along. Genesis and Exodus were fascinating, speeding from the perfect world that God created, on into things being so sinful that God destroys the world with a flood--but the next minute people are building and worshipping idols again! Leviticus and Numbers were not as interesting to me personally--all that accounting! Listing laws and different details that God instructed the Children of Israel in--yet at the same time, the thought occurred to me that the details must be pretty important to God, since He saw fit to have them all written down in His Holy book for us to have record of. Deuteronomy I am loving--so sad, since Moses knows he is going to die and not proceed into the Promised Land with the rest of the Children of Israel. Yet at the same time, it is so beautiful how Moses carefully goes over everything with the people again. He doesn't want them to forget how God has led them, after he has died and is no longer their leader. Of course, Moses had no idea of the wonderful plan God had of not having him remain in the grave.
I think my favorite verse from Deuteronomy is chapter 10, verse 12. Moses, of course, is the one speaking, and he says "And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the Lord's commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?" What does God ask of us? 1)Fear (Honor) God. 2)Walk in His ways. 3)Love Him. 4)Serve Him. 5)Obey Him. And it will all be for our own good. It's not about how we earn our way to heaven. It's not about how many "good deeds" we did. Or about how many people we helped. It's not about our being the perfect parent--good thing, because I'd never make it to heaven if it was. No. It's about Him. Just us, and Him.
2 comments:
Susan~ I am glad to hear everything is going good in your Bible in 90 Days commitment. I enjoyed reading about your thoughts so far on what you have read. Can't wait to read your next sharing.
LIsa :O)
I've seen quite a few people doing this 90-day program, but here I was feeling virtuous for doing a 365-day program for the first time in a long time.
Thanks for stopping by my blog & commenting today. Let me know how the picture organizing goes.
Post a Comment