Saturday, January 29, 2011

Snow Crystals--Update!


Sorry it has taken me so long, but here (finally!) is an update on our Borax Snow Crystal experiment. As I posted earlier, the crystals started forming right away--within 30 minutes we could see them hanging on the pipe cleaner shape we had formed. The directions I had read said to leave it growing overnight, so here is a picture of what it looked like in the morning--MUCH larger!













We took our snow crystal out of the water/Borax solution and laid it on a paper towel to dry. The crystals are pretty firm--of course, a few came off when we touched it, but most stayed firmly attached. After drying a while, we hung it by a suction cup hook on our window. The one thing I will do different next time is I will make a little loop in one end of the pipe cleaner before growing the crystals on it. This would make it easier to have a firm place to hang from when hanging in the window. Sure, crystals will grow and fill in the little loop, but these could be brushed off. As it was, I ended up wrapping a piece of tape around one of our snowflake arms, and then wrapped this tape around a bent paper clip. That gave me a hanging end. Next time--make the hanging end first! :)

Have fun! We did, and plan on making another one this week!
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors