Thursday, January 27, 2011

Honey Granola Bars


Last week I went in search of a healthy dessert recipe, as I was craving something sweet. I found this recipe, and it turned out pretty yummy! No, not the same as a store bought granola bar, but it is very low fat and held together really pretty well! The last granola bar recipe I tried was more granola crumbs, not bars. :) So, hope someone enjoys adding this recipe to their collection as much as I did!





Honey Granola Bars

1 1/4 c. quick cooking oats
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. toasted wheat germ
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (I used corriander)
1/4 c. plus 2 T. honey
1/3 c. dark raisins or chopped dried apricots (I used the apricots)

I also added 2 T. ground flaxseed meal--I think next time I may even hide a bit more flaxseed in them, as it is SO healthy for you!

1) Combine the oats, flour, wheat germ, and cinnamon, and stir to mix well. Add the honey, and stir until the mixture is moist and crumbly. (I gave up and used my hands, which worked great!) Fold in the raisins or apricots.

2) Coat an 8 inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pat the mixture into the pan, and bake at 300 F for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

3) Cool to room temperature, cut into bars, and serve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been searching forever for a homemade granola bar that holds together well enough to take with us on the go (to eat in the car, or at the zoo, or whatever), does this one stay together that well?

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors