Saturday, September 22, 2012

Family Favorites--Butter Bean Cookies


Hi Everyone!

Yes, that title says "Butter Bean Cookies."  I KNOW some of you are in disbelief right now, wondering if I mean REAL beans--as in the kind that the farmer grows in his garden. . . Yes!  That's exactly what is in these cookies.  And I also KNOW that some of you are right now saying "YUCK!" and closing your mind off from trying this recipe.

Well, all I can say is all the more for me!  :D  These cookies are YUMMY.  Even my husband eats them, and trust me, he does not normally eat things just to avoid hurting my feelings!  

Since I discovered that I cannot tolerate oils or high fats, it has made me look long and hard for dessert recipes that wouldn't make me sick.  Because I like dessert!  In fact, it happens to be my favorite part of the meal!  Oh I love whole grains and veggies and especially fruits, but sometimes you just want that something sweet. . .   Which has led me to try some pretty interesting recipes.  Some of them ended up in the garbage can.  But this is NOT one of those.  I could eat the whole batch myself.  Really!

These cookies are all whole grain, being made with whole wheat flour and oats, and the only thing that is not so healthy in them is the non-dairy chocolate chips.  Which, by the way, I'm sure could be replaced with raisins for a 100% fat free cookie.  Next time I make these, I'm going to try it.  On top of the whole grain, they also get a NICE fiber boost from the butter beans.  Really.  You are never going to know the beans are in there.  Trust me!  Make the cookies, and feed them to your family.  And just don't TELL them the beans are in there.  Even my daughter eats them, and let's just say she takes after my husband in her food preferences!

Butter Bean Cookies

1 c. rolled oats, divided
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour (I did not have pastry flour, but used white whole wheat flour instead)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. coriander 
1 15 oz. can butter beans (or any white bean) drained and unrinsed but all liquids reserved
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray

2.  Transfer 3/4 c. of the oats to a food processor or blender, and pulse until crumbly but nt powdery or flour like.

3.  Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coriander.  Whisk to mix everything and set aside.

4.  Transfer 1/2 c. of beans to a food processor or blender and add applesauce, sugar, vanilla and 1 T. of the reserved bean liquid.  Blend until smooth.  Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir about 10 times.

5.  Add chocolate chips, remaining 1/4 c. of the oats, and the rest of the reserved bean liquid, stirring until well combined.  If the mixture is too wet, add more oats.  If it's too dry, add a little water.

6.  Drop tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheet, leaving an inch of room between them, and flatten them slightly so they look more like cookies than balls.

7.  Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are just turning light brown and middles are firm (bottoms should also be golden brown).  The cookies will firm a bit more as they cool.


Enjoy!  

Susan

1 comment:

Country Needles said...

I can't wait to try these! I think I will make them for this coming Sabbath! Thanks for posting!
Country Needles
sewrunningaround dot blogspot dot com

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors