Hi Everyone!
Recently I had the pleasure of reviewing the book "Crypto Mind Benders" by The Critical Thinking Company. As I had never seen even their "Mind Benders" series, I really had no idea what to expect before I received the book.
In the "Crypto Mind Benders" books, the students are asked to break a secret code to identify either a hidden joke or a famous quote. To break the code, logic and mathematical reasoning must be used in solving three sets of clues. Then these clues will be used to solve the secret code.
I received the classic jokes version--and was very pleasantly surprised. I personally do not enjoy a lot of jokes, and did not want my daughter exposed to jokes that might be not in good taste. But I should not have worried! The jokes in "Crypto Mind Benders" are written by children ages 9-15, and are just clean, funny jokes. One of the jokes in the book asks: Why did the cat go to the computer lab every day? To play with the mouse!
The book is marked as appropriate for grades 3-12, a broad range indeed! But after looking through the book, I have to say that I agree 100%! It definitely is challenging enough for the upper grade students, yet by carefully reading the sample instructions given in the beginning of the book my daughter and I were able to figure out how to use the clues and figure out the problems. My daughter is 8 years old, so I wondered if it would be too difficult for her. At first glance through the book I thought it would be for sure, but now that she has some understanding of how you use the clues to rule out or in possibilities, she is doing quite well. It IS challenging, and I don't think she will be outgrowing this book for a long time, but I love how it is really making her think--and all in a very fun way!
The original purchaser of this book has permission to make copies for personal use within one home, or even within one classroom up to 35 students. I made a copy for her to first try it, as I wasn't sure if it would be too difficult for her and we might be putting it back on the shelf for a while. But since I am only home schooling one child at this point, it is easier just to let her do her work right in the book. A detailed answer key can be found in the back of the book--perfect for those days that I look at the page and get this big question mark in my mind! Let's just say that while "Mind Benders" is a great name for this product, my daughter and I think "Mind Stretchers" would also be a good name--and some days my mind definitely has growing pains!
So if you are looking for something to REALLY REALLY REALLY make your students think, I highly recommend this book! And for us, personally, this may be our first "Mind Benders" book, but there is no way it will be our last!
This product can be found at www.CriticalThinking.com, Phone 1-800-458-4849.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: I was provided a copy of this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion and review. All thoughts expressed are my own, and I truly am impressed with this product! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!
No comments:
Post a Comment