Thursday, June 10, 2010

Honey Banana Bread

As you all know, I have been searching out high-fiber recipes lately. I ran across this recipe in one of my cook books, and was very happy to see that not only was it written for using only whole wheat flour, but also it has no added oil or fat at all--only what naturally occurs in the whole wheat flour! Needless to say, I had to try it! I think it turned out great. Tasted wonderful, only improvement "I" would give it might be to add walnuts--though of course those would also add some fat as well. But it would at least be a "healthy" fat type, and would carry fiber along with it as well! :) Another thing I liked about this recipe is that when I cut into the bread it was "dry" and not overly wet, as sometimes banana bread is for me. I am tempted to try this same recipe again, substituting zucchini, or even shredded carrots. I did have to add a tiny bit of water at the end of the mixing, as it was just a bit too dry to get all of my flour mixed in. I added no more than 1/4 cup, and I had doubled the recipe so I was making it for two loaves. Anyway, following is the recipe! Enjoy!
Honey Banana Bread
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I used Rumford)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. mashed very ripe banana (about 2 large)
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. skim milk (I used soy milk)

Step 1) Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg and stir tomix well. Add the banana, honey, and milk, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.

Step 2) Coat an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the mixture evenly in the pan, and bake at 325 F for 45-50 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Step 3) Remove the bread from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes. Invert the loaf onto a wire rack, turn right side up, and cool before slicing and serving. Yum!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have some bananas in the fridge that need this recipe! Thanks!

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors