Monday, June 14, 2010

Kids in the Kitchen Monday!

Today was my 17 year old's day to make lunch once again. He did a great job this week, making a total of six different recipes. Yum! It was even better than last week, and last week his meal was DELICIOUS. Today he chose Mexican food, and you can see in the picture that Alison was a very willing kitchen assistant. In fact, to be honest, she shocked me with how WELL she rolled tortillas! They might not be a perfect circle, but they were exactly the right thickness--not too thin, not too thick, and no holes in the middle! Austin mixed up the dough (recipe to follow!) and then I showed him how to roll one tortilla. Alison asked to help, so I gave her one ball of dough. Austin rolled two or three, and then I showed him how to cook them. Meanwhile, Alison had finished rolling hers and asked if she could roll another. When I saw what a wonderful job she did, she ended up inheriting the rolling job completely while Austin manned (or is that "teen-aged"?) the stove.
Here's Austin cooking a tortilla in a hot, dry, frying pan.

This is a true "Happy Meal". Even the food is smiling back at us! :D


Finished stack of tortillas.....



Here is the finished meal, right before we dove in!

Things Austin made were:

1) Home made tortillas (recipe below)
2) Baked Corn chips (recipe already posted on blog)
3) Refried beans--cooked in crock pot
4) Brown rice--cooked in rice cooker
5) Vegan Cheese sauce
6) Polynesian Bars--sort of a bar cookie with date filling

Not too bad for a kid with cerebral palsy who only has use of one hand!

O.K.--here is the promised tortilla recipe--

Homemade Tortillas

1 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. white flour
dash salt
1/3 c. olive oil
1 1/4 c. water
Mix all dry ingrediants together. Mix wet and pour over dry. Mix and then knead on counter for a few minutes. Make into 12 small balls. Flatten in hand slightly, then roll on floured counter into circle. Put on a hot DRY frying pan and bake until you can move it with your fingers. Flip and cook other side. Fill with favorite filling and enjoy! :D

P.S.--I haven't tried this recipe yet with all whole wheat flour, but I will one of these days....






1 comment:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors