Did you know that the Bible talks about quilting??? And not only does it talk about it, it actually says that it is a good thing to do?
Well, o.k., so maybe I am adding my paticular viewpoint onto things as I read, but this days reading included Proverbs 31. You know, SuperMom. The woman who does everything, and does it all well. We've all read this Bible portion before, and quite frankly I haven't been buying and selling any fields lately. Or planting vineyards either, though I have planted blackberries here in our yard.....I like blackberries. Once you get them going, you can't kill them if you try, so they get along pretty well with my not-very-green-thumb! But I guess I just hadn't realized that the Proverbs 31 woman was also a quilter, until I was reading it through this time as part of the 90 Day program. And there it is, right in my Bible in black and white.
Proverbs 31:22--She makes coverings for her bed...
That sounds like quilting to me! Now a days, quilting does not make any sense at all. I mean, pioneer women used to faithfully gather scraps of cloth from worn out clothes, and when they had enough they would sew the scraps together into large enough quilts to keep their family warm at night. But today's quilter, more times than not, is purchasing large pieces of fabric from a fabric store, bringing it home, and cutting it all into little tiny pieces! Kind of the reverse of what old time quilters used to do!
However--be that as it may, I still so much enjoy making quilts--even though my time is limited therefore my quilt output is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w! I love working with pretty colors. Seeing how they blend together. Creating something completely different and beautiful.
I think I enjoy creating because I was made by THE Creator. Don't you think that God enjoys creating? Of course He created everything, but maybe He enjoys creating humans most of all. Blending together different personalities. Yellow hair from one relative. Blue eyes from another. Creating someone completely different and beautiful.
I love all of the quilts I have made. Some are more simple than others. Some were made specifically for charities. Some for certain individuals to give comfort to in a time of stress. But a piece of me went into each one. I think a piece of God goes into each person as well. And we are all His favorite!
2 comments:
Oh Susan~ What a great post. I love the point at the very last - that a piece of you goes into each quilt and a little piece of God goes into each of us. That is an awesome idea! You are such a talented lady. I love the photo of the quilt blocks.
Lisa :O)
You're welcome for the conference ticket. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Love the pic of the quilt - so pretty!
Post a Comment