O.K., I realize it has been a LONG time since I updated all of you on our butterfly caterpillars, but better late than never, right?
Our three caterpillars stayed sleeping for around two weeks. Sadly, one caterpillar never made a chrysalis, so we knew he (she?) wasn't going to make it. Of the two remaining, one hatched out but had a deformed wing. I've seen this happen before, though have no idea why. An enemy did this. I hate sin.
HOWEVER,
in spite of this sin filled world, there is still plenty of God's grace and beauty all around us. Caterpillar #3 hatched out just perfect. What a thrill it is to hold a butterfly on your hand. Of course, this only lasts until their wings dry enough for them to fly! But the brief moment of time makes it all the more special. In heaven, we can hold them all the time.
A week after this beautiful butterfly took wing, I was watering a friends garden while she was away for two weeks. Guess what I found devouring her parsley? Yes--two more Black Swallowtail caterpillars! I knew my friend was more interested in growing parsley, NOT feeding caterpillars--so I decided to relocate those two caterpillars from her yard to our indoor container. Currently one is in his (her?) chrysalis and the other is still munching away on the food we feed it. And soon, if we are fortunate, we might be able to hold a piece of God's smile again!
1 comment:
I love butterflies! It is such a blessing that you found more caterpillars - to start the process again. I look forward to hearing of the results!
Lisa :O)
Post a Comment