Friday, June 15, 2012

Home made Triscuits!



Hi Everyone!

Just thought I would share a little idea we tried that we thought turned out really nice.  My hubby has a real savory munchy tooth.  While I always lean towards sweets, he will lean towards salty/savory things.

So--the other day we were discussing how we would like to find a healthy recipe for crackers.  Specifically, something that did not have oil in it.  I had already tried one of my home made cracker recipes, and just substituted water for the oil that is in it--and it did not exactly turn out the way we liked.  It tasted good, but just had no "crunch!"  So that oil is giving crackers the "crunch" of them.  Anyway, my husband had what I think is a brainstorm.  He looks at me and says, "I wonder if we could season unfrosted mini wheat cereal, and it would be similar to a Triscuit."

Well, that sounded like a marvelous idea to me, so I tried it and it turned out GREAT!  :)  Basically, I spread out a layer of unfrosted mini wheats on my cookie sheet.  Next I very lightly sprayed with Pam olive oil spray.  Yes, I suppose this is sort of adding oil in, but according to the labeling on the spray it is not adding any fat in--I assume because it is such a light layer?  Anyway, I lightly sprayed with the Pam spray, then sprinkled with onion salt and rosemary powder.  Last step is to bake at 225 degrees for an hour.  Maybe they wouldn't take this long to toast, but that is just how long I had mine in for.

Everyone in our family has given this recipe both thumbs up, and will much it down the second they come out of the oven!  We look forward to other flavor experiments!!  Hope you enjoy playing around with this idea as well!

Susan

1 comment:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors