Friday, April 15, 2011

Blogging through the Gospels: Matthew 13:1-35!


This mornings reading is just half of a chapter--Matthew 13:1-35. It is telling the story of the sower, who goes out to plant his crop. A story many of us have heard before, but slowing down and meditating on it this morning brought some new thoughts I hadn't really realized before. So I would encourage you to grab your nearest Bible, and read the story again for yourself! You never know what you may find....


Scripture:


Matthew 13:23 But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.


Observation:


The "seed" was sewn everywhere--along the path, on rocky places, among thorns, as well as on good soil. But in spite of being spread everywhere, it only produced a crop in one place--good soil.


Application:


How can I control what type of "soil" my heart is? Can a soil type be changed if it is not good? From a little bit of garden experience I would say "yes," soil type CAN be changed. But it only happens by lots of digging and bringing in of the right things for soil development. Compost, manure, peat moss, etc. And at the same time, sometimes you have to remove things as well--brambles, roots, weeds, rocks. The verse states two conditions: 1) hearing the word, and 2) understanding it. I can help control my environment so I am hearing the Word--and then can take the next step and study so I can also understand it. Then--with God's blessing--I will produce a crop!


Prayer:


Dear Father--Thank you for the opportunity I have to hear Your Word. Please dig and weed and bring things into my life--so I may be good soil for You, producing a crop.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Come read with us! Reading schedule and encouragement at www.momstoolbox.com

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors