Happy Sabbath!
It is a beautiful Easter weekend Sabbath--the perfect time to thoughtfully dwell on Jesus' life. Today's reading is Matthew 20, so grab your Bibles and join me in looking for treasure!
The verse that stood out the most to me today was something that Jesus said to His disciples after some squabbling broke out. Two of the disciples had tried to quietly arrange that they would sit on Jesus' right and left side when his kingdom came. When the rest of the twelve found this out, they were not pleased! All were wanting to be first--to have the best position--to be favored. They were thinking the natural way we sinful humans think--"Me first!" But Jesus answered them in quite a different way....
Scripture:
Matthew 20:26-28 ...whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave--just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Observation:
The disciples were interested in elevating themselves, and Jesus pointed out to them that if they were truely to be His followers, they would also follow Him in meekness. In "others first" instead of "me first." In serving, instead of being served.
Application:
How can I serve and be a blessing to others? I think there are many ways every day if I only open my eyes to them. An encouraging email or phone call to a friend. Making meals for my family. Answering a homeschool question. Providing a guest room for a traveler. Caring for a pets needs. Letting someone with a few items jump ahead of me in a store line. Leading out in a church program. Collecting food for the food bank.
I think Jesus was a blessing wherever He went, in big or small situations. And if I want to be like Him, then I should also be a blessing wherever I am.
Prayer:
Dear Father--Open my eyes and let me see all the ways I can be a blessing to others. Let Your love flow through me, so they will see not me helping them, but You.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many blessings still await! Come join us in reading through the Gospels. Reading schedule and encouragement at www.momstoolbox.com
1 comment:
Very nice, Mom.
Post a Comment