Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Bible in 90 Days--Day 67!

Good Morning!

Well, here we are. Our last day of reading entirely in the Old Testament. Hard to believe, but tomorrow's reading will take us into Matthew, and the New Testament will go by REALLY fast.

While I am thrilled to be moving into the New Testament, at the same time it is with a tinge of sadness that I move out of the Old Testament. I have spent so many blessed hours reading this portion of God's Word. But that's all right. I'll definitely be back!

Meanwhile, there are still some real treasures to be gleaned in today's reading. We often do not hear much about all these little short books jammed up at the end of the Old Testament. They all kind of blur together. It's even hard for me to be able to answer my family when they ask me what book of the Bible I am reading in. Some of these are only two chapters long, and I may be moving through three or more books each day as I am reading now! To be honest, I don't even pay attention to what book I am reading in--I am just concentrating on reading the words on the page! Then when I run across something that really speaks to me, it is kind of like "Whoa, where is THAT gem found?" and I have to look up to see what book I am reading in.

So enough of my musings, and on to today's treasures. . .
Here is a verse that is precious to me. It is one that we chose to bless our son with, when we were writing up the parent speech for his 8th grade graduation ceremony:

"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

Isn't that beautiful? Have you ever really thought about God rejoicing over YOU with singing? He loves us so much, He is so pleased with the unique person that He created that He breaks out in song. We are so important to Him that He gave his Only Son. . .

And more gems from today:

"'The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the Lord Almighty." Haggai 2:8

Praise the Lord, God is not limited by OUR resources! It all belongs to Him. He has no shortage.

"This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'Return to me,' declares the Lord Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 1:3

Did you catch who is speaking in that last verse? It is the Lord Almighty. Not the Lord Weak. Not the Lord "I would like to but I'm sorry I can't." No, it says three times that it is the Lord ALMIGHTY. And look at what He promises--He promises to return to us.

Another beautiful verse--
"'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord Almighty." Zechariah 4:6

This is how we can accomplish things. Not by any power that we have, for we do not have any! But by God's power. And He does not lack in power.

Well, I need to get on with the day. Think about these treasures today. And remember that God is rejoicing over you with singing.

1 comment:

Bethany LaShell said...

Zech. 4:6 is one of my favorite verses. It was a good reminder for me to read it here today :-). Thanks for stopping by the other week. I've just been snowed under this semester!

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors