Monday, December 5, 2011

The Names of Jesus--Day 5


Good Morning!

Our name for Jesus for today: The Bread of Life

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry.'" John 6:35, NIV

Never go hungry. Doesn't that sound good? I felt like I was pretty hungry yesterday. It was one of those days with many things scheduled into it. They were all fun things, but sort of like getting a drink of water out of a fire hydrant! I had a Christmas Brunch in the morning, followed immediately by my Needlecraft Fellowship which is sort of like a sewing circle where people bring whatever project they are working on and visit as they knit or sew or quilt. Needlecraft Fellowship would end at 4:00, and at 5:00 at the same church I had a Women's Ministry dinner! Like I said--ALL very fun things, though I wished they were spread out on different days so I could enjoy them more.

Anyway--since my Christmas Brunch was a late breakfast, I thought I would just skip lunch that day--I was too full at lunch time to eat anyway, due to the late breakfast. The Women's Ministry dinner was starting early--at 5:00, so I thought I would be fine just waiting to eat until supper time. I was wrong! Not realizing what the program was for the Women's Ministry dinner, I did not know that as it would turn out I wouldn't be eating supper until almost 7:00! I was famished! Fortunately, I did have some scones in my car, so I slipped out to the parking lot and brought several in which I then shared with my friend who had had the same activities going on that I had--and was starving just as I due to having only eaten breakfast that day.

Never go hungry. My friend and I were hungry because it had been a long time since we had had food. But a much worse sort of hunger is to be starving for Jesus. He gives permanent satisfaction. In the Bread of Life are all the nutrients necessary for our spiritual lives to grow and flourish! How many times do we try to skimp and "get along" with just a little bit of spiritual food here and there? Are we trying to eat just one time a week, when we got to church? We need to eat physical food every single day. How much more important it is for us to eat of Jesus every single day.

"Our Saviour is the bread of life, and it is by beholding His love, by receiving it into the soul, that we feed upon the bread which came down from heaven." Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing, p. 112.

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors