I have a treasure to share with you today!
For me, this is a new treasure--though I can tell it has a history and has been around awhile.
Last week I was shopping in my favorite thrift store. Not only do I like purchasing things from this store, but the money they bring in goes right back into serving our local community--a definite win-win situation in my book! Anyway, I was browsing around and out of the corner of my eye I saw an employee putting something out on the shelf.

My heart skipped a beat, because it looked like--a quilt! I quickly turned to her and asked her "Was that a quilt?" It was. Oh, be still my heart. It was beautiful. I stood there admiring it. It was only a baby blanket size--too bad, because I really had no use for a baby blanket. Twin blanket yes. Baby blanket no. But it was SO pretty. It is FILLED with tiny hand quilting. As I held it in my hands I couldn't help think of the mother or grandmother, or perhaps an aunt, who lovingly spent hours making this quilt for some special baby girl. I wondered whose it was. What happened to the girl--she must be grown up by now. How did something this precious to family history end up in a thrift store being sold for $4.00?
I could not put it down and leave it there. Though I did not know it's story, I valued the love that went into it. So for now, it will grace the wall in my living room. I know it's too small for the large wall, but that's o.k. with me. I know the clips in this picture are just clips I borrowed from hubby's tool chest--but they can be replaced later with something more decorative. Every time I look at it, I feel some of the love that went into it. Every piece was carefully cut. Every piece was hand quilted. With Love.
My heart skipped a beat, because it looked like--a quilt! I quickly turned to her and asked her "Was that a quilt?" It was. Oh, be still my heart. It was beautiful. I stood there admiring it. It was only a baby blanket size--too bad, because I really had no use for a baby blanket. Twin blanket yes. Baby blanket no. But it was SO pretty. It is FILLED with tiny hand quilting. As I held it in my hands I couldn't help think of the mother or grandmother, or perhaps an aunt, who lovingly spent hours making this quilt for some special baby girl. I wondered whose it was. What happened to the girl--she must be grown up by now. How did something this precious to family history end up in a thrift store being sold for $4.00?
2 comments:
Oh Susan~ What a treasure you found!! I am so happy for you. I love finding treasures like that. But I always would love to hear the story behind the treasures. SO many cool stories that may never be heard.
I found a treasure today. I will try to write a post about it tomorrow. It is not a quilt though. Didn't want to get your hopes up. lol
Lisa :o)
What a beautiful quilt.
I like the thoughts you shared about who the original owner might be.
It is kind of sad to think that no one in the family had any need for it any more.
I really like the photos you added.
Post a Comment