What are you thankful for today? I am thinking of something that most people usually complain about. We fret and worry and cover it up. Yes--today I am thankful for gray hair.
But before you decide I am completely off my rocker, hear me out. First of all, I am just plain thankful to HAVE hair. Even if it is not beautiful or naturally curly like I might like, at least I HAVE hair. Two of my dear sisters-in-Christ have children who are struggling with leukemia. Chemotherapy means hair loss. I am thankful that I am well and healthy and just plain HAVE hair--no matter what it may look like!
But I think it is important to also be thankful for GRAY hair in particular. The fact that I have gray hair means I have lived for a while. I did not die as an infant, as so many premature babies do. I made it through childhood, unlike many in countries with not enough food. I have been blessed to live to be an adult--and I hope and pray that my days have been used for useful activities.
Would you like to know what God thinks of gray hair? All right, here it is: "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." Proverbs 16:31
What do you think of that verse? I'm not making it up--go ahead and look it up for yourself! It certainally does not sound like God is ashamed of gray hair. Do you know what color God's hair is? Well take a look at these verses:
" As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze." Daniel 7:9
"His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire." Revelation 1:14
There you have it. God has white hair. And it doesn't bother Him to be called "ancient," either!
I am not promising that I may never decide to color over my gray hair. Who knows what life will bring, and if at some point I feel the need to color my hair I think that is just fine. But even if I choose that option at some time in the future, I want to know in my mind that God thinks my gray hair is beautiful.
That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!
Today, I am thankful for my gray hair. What are YOU thankful for?
1 comment:
I am thankful for my grey hair too! It means i have an excuse for whatever i want to blame my age for lol!!
My son has not had a haircut since April~gasp~until you see he doesn't have much. He has never totally lost it all. I asked him more than once if he wanted to shave it off, and he has always responded with~just let it be natural. It is thin, but because it dark, he is kinda cute! But then, that is a moms perspective!
Post a Comment