Today I am thinking about something I use every single day. I won't even walk across the room without it. Yes, I know you guessed from the picture--I am thankful for my glasses! I have terrible vision, and I am so so so so thankful to have glasses (and contacts!) to help me see.
When I was a child, my parents didn't know I needed glasses. "I" didn't know I needed glasses. Finally, in third grade, I went to the eye doctor and walked out of his office with my first pair of glasses. I couldn't believe what I could see! Did you know that trees had leaves on them? And you could SEE those leaves even from across the street??? I was constantly in awe of what I was able to see with those glasses. I knew I may get teased at school and called "four-eyes," but I did not care if it meant that I could SEE.
Later, as a young adult, I worked as a camp counselor at a summer camp. One week out of every summer there were children from a school for the blind that would come to camp. We set out special guide ropes and helped plan experiences for them that they never would be able to do at home. Many could see just a bit--they were actually harder to keep track of than the totally blind campers, because they would always take off on their own! How I wished that they all could see--and see WELL. They were delightful campers, and I was very blessed by their cheerfulness and enthusiasm.
I know that some day I will see perfectly, even without the aid of my trusty glasses. My blind campers will see as well. When Jesus was here on earth, He had compassion on them and healed the blind. One former blind man was taken to the Pharisees and grilled about the miracle Jesus had done for him. The Pharisees kept saying how Jesus was a sinner, trying to discredit Him. I love the simple answer of the now seeing man--"He replied, 'Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!'" John 9:25
There are many things I do not understand. But I know Someone who does. Someday I will not only see physically, but spiritually as well. And like the blind man, I will be able to say "I was blind but now I see!"
Today I am thankful for my glasses. What are YOU thankful for?
3 comments:
Hhhmmm, as much as I complain about having worn glasses for my entire life (really, I got my first pair before I turned 2!), I ought to be grateful for their invention! Otherwise, I could not drive, read, write, see God's beautiful creation, or do much of anything. Thanks for that reminder!
Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day - I love your additions to my punctuation post! Made me laugh!
I am really enjoying your thankful posts. Helps keep me thinking thankful thoughts too!
Today I am very thankful to live in an awesome area and be able to meet really neat people. I mean this is where I meant you! I am also thankful for such a loving God that is patiently working with me to make me who he created me to be. So much more but I those are my top two for now. Lisa :O)
Post a Comment