Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankfulness--Day 24

Good Morning, and Happy Thanksgiving!

With today being Thanksgiving and all, I cannot help but reflect on the start of our country and the people who founded it. Different people had different reasons for coming to this land, but many of them did make the journey into an unknown and sometimes hostile wilderness so that they could worship God according to their conscious.

Of course, if it had not been for the kindness of the Indians--even after they, perhaps, had not been treated kindly--some of the settlements of pilgrims would have never survived. When Samoset introduced Squanto to the settlers, there was no reason Squanto should have helped them. Afterall, it was white men who had kidnapped Squanto years before, enslaving him and separating him from his people. And when he finally arrived back in his own country, it was only to discover that sickness had wiped out his entire tribe. He was the only one left--and yet, in spite of this, Squanto took the Pilgrim people into his heart and lived with them and taught them how to survive in this new world.

Yes, many miracles happened in the development of our nation. I am so thankful to have been born here--where religious freedom is still proclaimed across the land. But even though I love my country, I am still looking for a better one.

"Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." Hebrews 11:16

I want to be ready to be a citizen of the better country--heaven.

Today I am thankful for my country. What are YOU thankful for?

No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors