Today I am thinking of something I am thankful for which is wonderful when it works--but terrible when it doesn't! Yes, I know you guessed from my picture, but today I am thankful for cars!
Good old Henry Ford. Without his hard work and determination--as well as a handful of others who were also experimenting along the same lines--we would still be dependent upon horses for travel everywhere. Much as I like horses, and though I do appreciate that horses wouldn't end up costing you an arm and a leg in gas and insurance costs, they are still not without cost and besides that--they are slow!
I love the daydream of never really needing to go anywhere in an urgent way, but that is not my reality. When my oldest child was born premature, if it wasn't for a car to take us to the hospital--and even an ambulance which took me from that hospital to another, larger better equipped hospital--I don't know that my child would have survived birth, as early as he was. And then there are the miles and miles and miles that I have ended up driving him for therapies. Yes, it would have been nice if the therapy places had been located nice and close to our house, but again, that was not my reality. And even if you are not thinking about medical needs, just social ones--you still cannot help but appreciate the car. In times past when people moved by wagon train from the east coast to the west, they realized as they said "good by" to their loved ones that they truly would never see each other again. Ever since I married almost 22 years ago, my husbands work has taken him to states that are far away from where I grew up--and I am so thankful that I have still been able to see my parents on vacation times. My parents are the couple being chauffeured around in the Model T in the above picture--don't they look like a fun-loving couple? I am so thankful that I have still been able to visit with them, and they with me--even if it is not as often as we would like.
But in spite of the wonders of the automobile, I am also thankful that God is not dependent upon one. For His purposes, a car would simply be too slow! Similar to me when I think of having to always use a horse, a car would definitely slow God down. The story of Daniel comes to mind--one day he was in prayer to God, and before his prayer finished--there was an angel with the answer to his prayer!!! O.K., even if you assume that Daniel prayed a long prayer, all the way from heaven to earth in one "prayers worth" of time is still really really fast! You can read about it here:
"While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel and making my request to the Lord my God for his holy hill--while I was still in prayer, Gabriel, the man I had seen in the earlier vision, came to me in swift flight about the time of the evening sacrifice. He instructed me and said to me, 'Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, and answer was given, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed.'" Daniel 9:20-24
Did you catch what Gabriel said? "As soon as you began to pray. . . " Wow. That is FAST. And God is not dependent upon gas stations being open along the way either! "As soon as you began to pray. . . " How foolish we humans are that we pray so little, and as a "last resort."
Today I am thankful for cars. What are YOU thankful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment