Read any good books lately??? Ask any of my friends, and they will definitely tell you--I LOVE books. I love books much more than other activities. I have to be careful, because I can happily spend the day reading--all day long and not get anything else done that I need to do! One time when I was talking to a friend of mine, I referred to my books as being "friends," and my REAL friend--the human variety--laughed and laughed and laughed at me! She just could not understand how I could feel that way about my books--but it's true! Well, not ALL my books are my friends. . . just some of them!
In books you can read about far away places, places you have never visited and perhaps never will. You can learn how to build things. How to cook. You can find out how others are living somewhere else, and what you can do to help them. So many, many wonderful and useful things can be discovered in books. I even became a teacher specifically because I wanted to be able to teach others how to read! (I told you I love books!)
But reading Dick and Jane books are not going to change your life. They are not going to heal relationships. They are not going to show you the way of life. But there is one book that will.
A couple days ago I told you how I was thankful for bread--and I am! How Jesus even referred to Himself as the Bread of Life. . . But physical bread is not going to save a person, and an infinite number of books will not either. No matter how many words are in those books.
Jesus said in Matthew 4:4 "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Words from the mouth of God. That sounds like the Bible to me. That one most precious book, the one book that WILL change your life--and it was written by your friend. Your very best friend.
Today I am thankful for books--especially the Bible. What are YOU thankful for?
No comments:
Post a Comment