Friday, December 2, 2016

150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 122


Good Morning Everyone!

We are reading Psalm 122 today!  As soon as I started reading, my attention was caught by verse 1:

"I was glad when they said to me, 'Let us go into the house of the LORD.' "  Psalm 122:1

I couldn't help but ask myself--how glad am "I" when going to the house of the Lord?  Do I view it with excitement?  Is it something special and valued to me?

I did a little searching about this Psalm, and discovered a little history and background.  I thought it was interesting, so wanted to share it with you here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Among the Jews the twelfth year was the dividing line between childhood and youth.  On completing this year a Hebrew boy was called a son of the law, and also a son of God.  He was given special opportunities for religious instruction, and was expected to participate in the sacred feasts and observances.  It was in accordance with this custom that Jesus in His boyhood made the Passover visit to Jerusalem.  Like all devout Israelites, Joseph and Mary went up every year to attend the Passover; and when Jesus had reached the required age, they took Him with them.

There were three annual feasts, the Passover, the Pentecost, and the Feast of Tabernacles, at which all the men of Israel were commanded to appear before the Lord at Jerusalem.  Of these feasts the Passover was the most largely attended.  Many were present from all countries where the Jews were scattered.  From every part of Palestine the worshipers came in great numbers.  The journey from Galilee occupied several days, and the travelers united in large companies for companionship and protection  The women and aged men rode upon oxen or asses over the steep and rocky roads.  The stronger men and the youth journeyed on foot.  The time of the Passover corresponded to the close of March or the beginning of April, and the whole land was bright with flowers, and glad with the song of birds.  All along the way were spots memorable in the history of Israel, and fathers and mothers recounted to their children the wonders that God had wrought for His people in ages past.  They beguiled their journey with song and music, and when at last the towers of Jerusalem came into view, every voice joined in the triumphant strain,--

"Our feet shall stand
Within thy gates, O Jerusalem. . .
Peace be within thy walls,
And prosperity within thy palaces."
Psalm 122:2-7

(Desire of Ages, by E.G.White p. 75)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doesn't that help you just imagine Jesus as a boy and youth--then later as a young man--traveling with His parents to Jerusalem, and singing with joy as they approached the city!  What a lesson to us in today's day and age.  How joyful do we come to church each Sabbath?  Do we sing with happiness that we are coming to meet with our God?

I think we could all take a lesson from the Israelites here. . . I know I could!  Worship the Lord with joy and gladness and singing--I know He is waiting for us!

~Susan


No comments:

Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

Visitors