Thursday, December 15, 2016
150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 135
Good Morning Friends!
Today we are reading in Psalm 135. I really enjoyed this Psalm, because it was talking about how mighty our God is! There were more parts that I really liked than I wrote down in my notebook. For instance, I love where starting in verse 6 when it says that
"Whatever the LORD pleases He does, in heaven and earth, in the seas and in all deep places. He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; He makes lightning for the rain; He brings the wind out of His treasuries."
I think I just like that these verse remind me of how powerful God is--that just like the disciples found when they saw Jesus calm the storm when they were all out in the boat, "even the wind and the waves obey Him."
With a God like that, why would we worship anything else? I wrote in my notebook verses 15-18:
"The idols of the nations are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths, but they do not speak; Eyes they have, but they do not see; they have ears, but they do not hear; Nor is there any breath in their mouths. Those who make them are like them; so is everyone who trusts in them." Psalm 135:15-18
We may not be bowing down to an image, but are we bowing down to other idols? Are we bowing down to money, for instance? Money is certainly a very important tool--important because of the good it can accomplish in helping provide the needs of people. But it is not something for us to worship and give our lives to the accumulation of. And what about other things? Are we worshiping our reputation? Where we feel that we have to appear 100% perfect? THAT is never going to be the truth--only God is perfect, so what about admitting that to yourself and asking Him for help in the things that really do need changing?
The above verses about the idols who have mouths and eyes and ears but those things do not work reminded me of a different Bible verse that states quite the opposite about our God. This is a verse that I love to claim and hold on to, and maybe it will also become a favorite of yours!
"Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear." Isaiah 59:1
Isn't that a great promise? Whatever it is--God is able. He is not too weak to save, He is not too weak to help. He is not too far away to reach a loved one of ours. . .
So hold on and cling--but cling to the One who really CAN hear and help you!
~Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment