Monday, December 5, 2016
150 Days in the Psalms--Psalm 125
Good Morning Everyone!
We have a beautiful Psalm today, filled with encouragement as we read Psalm 125. I was just thinking this morning that I am going to miss reading a Psalm a day when we finish at the end of this month--will have to decide what I am going to do for my quiet time next! If any of you have ideas for what you are going to do after reading through the Psalms, please do share! It was from reading another blog that I read about the idea of reading through the Psalms, and I am so glad I did! What a blessing!
Anyway, we are on Psalm 125 today, and in my Bible it gives the subtitle of "The LORD the Strength of His People." Such a true statement--for He is our ONLY strength! I really liked the beginning of this Psalm, so recorded verses 1 and 2 in my notebook:
"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." Psalm 125:1,2
I love this promise ad assurance! But it is also a reminder to me that sometimes we can interpret God's promises incorrectly. We would love to look at these verses and say "See? Nothing bad will ever happen to God's people!" but that would just not be true. One only has to look in the gospels to read about things that were done to the disciples of Jesus to read about beatings, imprisonment, etc. And it would be easy to ask "Wasn't God with them?"
Why do bad things happen to God's people? Why did one of my friends lose her 19 year old son to cancer, and another lose her 18 year old son to a car wreck? Where was God?
And the only answer is that He was right there--in the hospital room next to each one of them, walking away from the grave sites next to each of the mothers who left her son in His care and keeping. For we do still live on a world filled with sin. We are not in heaven yet--but we are not deserted either. . .
My Study Bible had this note to go along with this chapter, and I think it illustrates this point very well:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never is the tempest-tried soul more dearly loved by His Saviour than when he is suffering reproach for the truth's sake. . . When for the truth's sake the believer stands at the bar of earthly tribunals, Christ stands by his side. When he is confined within prison walls, Christ manifests Himself to Him and cheers his heart with His love. When he suffers death for Christ's sake, the Saviour says to him, They may kill the body, but they cannot hurt the soul.
The Acts of the Apostles, by E. G. White, p. 85
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And so, as Satan hates us and seeks to do us harm--we can know that our Jesus is with us. In illness or health, good times or bad, through every step of our journey here on earth, we will never be left alone to struggle all by ourselves.
And some day soon, our Jesus will return to us. He has promised, and the Bible signs are being fulfilled The earth will be made new, and sin will never more raise it's ugly head. What a glorious day that will be!
And in the meantime. . . trust in Him.
~Susan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Would you like to support my blog? As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through my links. I link to items that my family enjoys and that we find to be high quality. However, you do not need to buy the item that is linked here -- simply clicking on one of my links and then buying ANY item within 24 hours will earn me a small percentage and adds nothing to your cost. If you are going to be making an Amazon purchase, thank you for using my links to support my blog!

No comments:
Post a Comment